I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: unbiased, objective facts
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 11, 2020 04:59PM

Phil Ew, Yellowstone Anglers DO NOT use "six or eight recognized expert fly casters!", they use their staff from the shop, including George Anderson and his son!

I have been a follower of their rod "shoot outs" for years and respect their opinions, but recognize that the only really factual data they present is Weight, price and warranties. Beyond that it is a compilation of each of the four persons opinions.

With your dislike of advertising and marketing lingo, I find it unusual you do not object to their usage of these terms from some of their recent shoot outs, "wide sweet spot, long bomb, rod is a powerhouse, like a freight train, absolute beast, rod is a true cannon", and my favorite, "zing & pop!"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2020 06:04PM by Phil Erickson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 11, 2020 05:54PM

Come on Phil, they use similar subjective terms all the time. You presented them as providing "objective" info. Wasn't objective, might not have used your favorite subjective terms, but they have a lot of their own, like my first post quoted. Including one that wasn't allowed on the forum. You condemn a certain selection of terms yet ignore that Yellowstone is using almost the same terms. And opinions are in no way objective.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 11, 2020 08:48PM

Complaining about a lack of objective results, measurements, statements, etc., is all well and good. It's true. But posting about it here isn't going to change anything. Perhaps the same comments made on the various fly fishing forums will do more good; rattle more cages, etc. You're preaching to choir here...

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 11, 2020 09:20PM

The Y.A. articles publish the average distance cast in feet and inches for each caster with each rod, and the average accuracy in feet and inches for each caster with each rod. Personally I am more interested in this information than how sweet or soulful the rods are, which is also reported in the articles - but if people want to hear this stuff I don't begrudge them one bit. Enjoy. I would welcome an explanation of what "extra fast" or "smooth" or "powerful" means when applied to fishing rods. It would help me select the right blanks. Seeking facts should not offend?

Posted by: Jeff Saxby (---.new.res.rr.com)
Date: July 11, 2020 11:49PM

The most important thing about a fishing rod is if you like it or not. It is impossible for someone else to tell you that.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: July 12, 2020 08:21AM

Jeff I believe you described the essence of rod crafting. The true worth of a rod is its value to the user.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: July 12, 2020 09:16AM

The true value of a golf club is if you like it or not, but that generally depends upon how it performs. What do you do if a customer who wants a rod made requires the rod to be "smooth, powerful, lite, and fast - like a Shakespeare Wonder Rod "? If you have been around for a while I KNOW you have dealt with potential customers like this.

Date: July 12, 2020 11:16AM

There are folks out there that will never be satisfied.
I find it hard to believe these people only emerge after the sale. It would seem to me that these folks would be putting up red flags during the initial negotiations. If I sense a difficult customer I let them know up front that I do not think I can give them what they want and I politely extract myself from the situation. If you pick up on these folks and continue to do business with them then you deserve all the grief you get.

PS If a person wants a rod like a "Shakespeare Wonder Rod" Let them know they can still get a "Wonder Rod" from @#$%& or the internet.

Date: July 12, 2020 12:10PM

John D.

On the internet but not But not "custom made"!

Date: July 12, 2020 01:18PM

You are correct! My point is if a person wants a rod like a Shakespeare Wonder Rod then they should consider buying a Shakespeare Wonder Rod.

PS I believe one can get just about anything "custom made" on the internet.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 12, 2020 02:46PM

Phil,
One of the worst designed rods is the GLoomis NRX - powerful? Yes. A pleasure to csat - NO.
Yet it won the #8 shootout a few years ago. WHY??? Because they sell them.
Herb

Date: July 12, 2020 03:25PM

Herb: I have never casted, let alone owned an NRX. Apparently it doesn't "agree" with your casting style, but it might easily thrill another fly caster, maybe even me? No amount of hogwash about "power" or "smoothness" or "speed" or "magic" [positive or negative hogwash] will improve or change my ignorance about how an NRX will fit my casting or my needs - or enlighten anyone else. Human progress uses qualification and quantification of reality, not hype, to advance.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 12, 2020 05:38PM

"Apparently it doesn't "agree" with your casting style, but it might easily thrill another fly caster, maybe even me?" Your words, and exactly why there will never be a set of numbers that will adequately describe a rod so that there will never be expectations unmet. You can eliminate the "hogwash" (which has been quoted from YA earlier) and still it's too complex for a set of numbers to describe a rod adequately for everyone.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 12, 2020 08:06PM

No matter how you slice it , it all boils down to it "feels" to the user. I'm not aware of any chart that reflects that.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 12, 2020 09:26PM

You can get close. If you have a rod you like and have measured it for length, weight, power action and, perhaps most importantly, relative frequency, then any rod that matches all those specs is going to be very very close to what you have. The relative frequency (speed) is the measurement most closely related to how a rod "feels."

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 13, 2020 09:20AM

Just shake it..lol.

Posted by: Robert Ford (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2020 12:23PM

ben belote Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just shake it..lol.

This made me laugh

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 13, 2020 12:48PM

Robert, sounds like your and old shaker too..lol.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 13, 2020 09:11PM

I may be able to replicate what feels right to me by using measurements, but who knows what the next guy feels?

Posted by: Robert Ford (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 15, 2020 02:08AM

ben belote Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Robert, sounds like your and old shaker too..lol.

I always shake my rods :P

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster