I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
unbiased, objective facts
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: July 10, 2020 03:44PM

Yellowstone Angler provides the only possibly unbiased, objective comparisons of fishing rods I can find - but only fly rods. I don't know a single report comparing the actual PERFORMANCE of different brands and models of casting rods or spinning rods, but I would certainly applaud such a factual, measured comparison. I've heard enough claims of "fast", "smooth", "powerful", "soulful", "responsive", "incredible", and "magical" rod blanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: unbiased, objective facts
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 10, 2020 04:36PM

The intro to one video says "We'll give you our impressions. . ." "sweet rod" "nice" "soft tip" "does everything well" "I think a rod with a softer tip is far far better" "Doesn't have the power at long range. . ." "plenty of power" "NRX, better than anything" "very very good at 30 feet" "NRX has a reserve of explosive power" "4 piece is a heavy clunker"

"@#$%&"

Not objective.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 10, 2020 05:09PM

Rather than complaining about it, why don't you do something about it? If there is something I want, I go out and get it. I don't ask others to do it for me

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 10, 2020 06:11PM

If Phil couldn't complain, he would have very little to say.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 10, 2020 06:39PM

lol..play nice..

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 10, 2020 06:44PM

Yellowstone Angler provides the only possibly unbiased, objective comparisons of fishing rods I can find

Phil,
Sorry - this is an oxymoron.
Unbiased - not on your life
Herb

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 10, 2020 07:39PM

About the only way to provide an objective comparison between rods is with relative numbers.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 10, 2020 07:45PM

Guys,guys, guys, back off, If Phil Ew is happy let him enjoy the moment it is not that often he is content, it is refreshing to see the positive side him, Hats off to Yellowstone Anglers for whatever they did.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 10, 2020 08:11PM

Thanks, Tom. Numbers that correspond to physical reality is what I would like to have before I spend my money on a blank. But I wouldn't dream of depriving others of the emotional support they get from reading about smooth, fast, powerful, soulful, accurate, light, responsive, dependable, exhilarating rod blanks.

Date: July 10, 2020 08:35PM

Herb: Yellowstone Anglers assembles six or eight recognized expert fly casters and provides them with eight or ten fly rods with their printed i.d. covered, but of course these guys probably know the brand and model anyway. The same brand, type, and weight of fly line is used with each rod. Each caster takes 10 casts for distance, ten for accuracy at varying distances and their attempts are tape measured and averaged , as are roll casts. The anglers' subjective opinions about the rods are also recorded, but the physical facts of each rod's performance are quantified in actual numbers, not adjectives, and are available to the public. The escape from Madison Avenue advertising hype is refreshing, and actually informative.

Date: July 10, 2020 09:07PM

If they are testing for distance, then the most powerful rod will win, every time. And not all rods labeled as being for the same line weight will possess the same power. This is a long-standing marketing gimmick.

Accuracy is in the hands of the caster.

Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---.lfkncmta01.com.sta.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 10, 2020 10:36PM

In the golf world every thing was longer and straighter. The slicers still sliced and the hookers,well what ever. I look at all the different ways people cast. You have the over head hope to reach Europe types and the under hand skipping, with just wrist. No way could these types have the same response about the rod. Golf it was frequency, here it's common cents. The best method currently available.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 11, 2020 07:07AM

I think it's a very good exercise in evaluating rods. My only point was that it is not objective. Even with the measurements of CCS, weight, and maybe a few others, I don't think there is a set of objective measurements that can totally describe a fly rod and conclude that one is the "best."

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---)
Date: July 11, 2020 07:13AM

Go grab 6 or 8 regular anglers and do the same test and see if you get the same results. CCS system is the only way for now to get what you're looking for, numbers don't lie and there is no emotion or physical human attributes to change the CCS numbers.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---)
Date: July 11, 2020 07:13AM

double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2020 07:14AM by Terry Kirk.

Date: July 11, 2020 07:51AM

You can look up the Yellowstone Fly Rod Shoot Outs on line. They do a pretty good job of NOT promoting any make or model - they just report what each rod will do in the hands of expert fly casters. The rods these accomplished fly casters like and which perform best for them may well not be the best rod for you or me, but at least you won't have to wade through another pile of "smooth", "fast", "light", "lively", "quick", "soulful", "powerful", "satisfying" and other such drivel.

Date: July 11, 2020 08:53AM

The CCS is completely objective. It is the same system we use for measuring length, weight, etc. But as Michael mentioned, it only measures inherent properties of a rod - it does not proclaim that any particular one is "the best." That sort of thing is subjective and remains up to the individual to decide based on what works best for him and the way he fishes.

If you're looking for something or someone else to tell you what the best rod is, you're apt to be forever disappointed. What is best for you may not be best for me.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.s1358.c3-0.drf-cbr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: July 11, 2020 09:08AM

“smooth", "fast", "light", "lively", "quick", "soulful", "powerful", "satisfying" on a lawn or parking lot may not translate to pleasure/performance when presenting flies to a trout. Our individual trout settings and casting styles certainly come into play as well.

Of all the adjectives thrown around the one that gets my antennae up the most is “powerful”. Once spoke to a well known bamboo blank maker about my desired use for a four weight bamboo blank. He recommended a blank he makes and I placed the order. As we finished the conversation he added “you’ll be throwing 60 foot casts in no time with this rod”. Right then and there I should have backed off, but didn’t. I now have a nice 7’6” bamboo rod that needs a five weight line to enjoy.... This would be fine if I didn’t already have a couple other nice five weight bamboo rods.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 11, 2020 01:02PM

Jeff, you hit the nail on the head..these rods that cast a country mile are not worth a crap for fishing the distances we mostly fish at..but that,s all they talk about not about all the fish they catch.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 11, 2020 02:01PM

Salmon & Steelhead Journal did many articles some years ago on rods and reels used for these fish. Edge Rods was started, according to Gary, when he got calls for the rods he built from his NFC blanks that did so well. The articles were well received, but very time consuming to do.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster