I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

16 or 17 seat
Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---)
Date: July 08, 2020 03:15PM

I have always used size 16 seats as a most all my rods are freshwater light to mag bass. I'm building some heavier 10 to 13 foot spinning float rods currently and I'm wondering if I should use size 17 seats. I really don't like the feel of them but I can see reel size of 4000 or so. I personally still like 3000-3500 series but you just never know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 16 or 17 seat
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 08, 2020 04:01PM

17 or even 18. I don't use 16's on anything any more, just too small, makes my hands hurt when used for a long time.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 08, 2020 04:55PM

From a pure ergonomics standpoint, anything smaller than about a 22 would be considered incorrect for all but he tiniest human hands. However, if you are able to be comfortable with something smaller then go that route. Anything above a 16 will typically hold about any reel foot you're likely to run into.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 09, 2020 08:58PM

For years, I avoided spinning rods and spent a great deal of time and effort finding rods and reels that could handle some of the smaller finesse lures that I wanted to use for bass. Once I started building and finally got around to building some spinning rods with rear grip lengths and reel mounts that suited me ergonomically, I found the spinning rod way more useful.

For me, 18mm is the sweet spot if I need to use a reel seat on a freshwater spinning rod. I prefer to wrap my spinning reels on with thread on a section of woven graphite just big enough to fill my hand. The OD of the grips are 1.05", which is pretty similar to the OD of an 18mm seat. The only spinning rod I still have a seat on is a little light power travel rod. It has an 18mm seat and is paired with a little size 10 Quantum reel. I have pretty small hands and have found that this is the smallest I can go on a bass rod that won't send pain shooting up my forearm on a hookset, something that started in my early 20s.

If the smaller seats suit you well and feel comfortable, by all means run with it.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 10, 2020 02:01AM

All my older G Loomis, Lamiglas, St Croix factory rods, even the ultralights had at least a 17 mm seat, my son's cheap med light Cebelas travel rod has an 18 mm Fuji DPSM. I use a lot of 20 mm NPS seats, 18 mm on ultralights and lights as a minimum.

Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: July 10, 2020 05:43PM

I only use 16's on light rods. !7 is only a little beefier (in my opinion) in looks and feel. I agree with other commenters on even going 18 or larger. Maybe more balance.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 10, 2020 09:09PM

I size my reel seats to fit my hand, not the rod. All my rods have no less than a size 20, including ultra-lights.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 11, 2020 10:49AM

Could always try a Fuji VSS 17 or IPS 16 reel seat with a hidden thread hood with sleeve. The OD of the finished cork reel seat will be about 27 mm OD, very comfortable to hold.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster