I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

7' 6" 3 weight blank recommendations
Posted by: Mike Juliana (165.225.50.---)
Date: July 08, 2020 01:01AM

Looking for a true 3 weight blank in roughly this length. Preference is 4 piece. MHX and Revelation are on the list but hoping for something a little lower in price as this would not be a high use rod for me. I would consider the Unity but it appears they only make this in a 2-piece which I find out a bit odd.

Thanks,
Mike J

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 7' 6" 3 weight blank recommendations
Posted by: Angelo Biviano (---)
Date: July 08, 2020 09:36AM

Hi Mike, what application? I'm assuming trout small streams?

My two cents, which may only amount to 1 cent: I've never enjoyed fishing the shorter graphite fly rods (6-7.5 ft) I've built (unity, pac-bay, h&h). They're just kind of stiff or dead, and I think that's because you're never really casting enough line on a small stream to load the rod. I would recommend, and have been doing so myself, building on fiberglass for any fly rod intended for small stream trout fishing. Fiberglass excels at small streams--and I'm not saying that as a fiberglass-devotee; it really is the right tool for that setting. The CTS quartz rods in the rod length you're looking are really good and not much more than the lower end graphites. Another advantage of fiberglass is they can really "work with" a range of line weights. A "true" 3 wt fiberglass can effectively load a 4, or even drop down to a 2.

Angelo

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 08, 2020 09:58AM

Mike,
Angelo is absolutely correct. CTS, and probably other glass blanks, have the ability to cast multiple line weights.
The CTS 7'6" #3 is a VERY sweet blank. I like a crisp rod. So I order my personal glass blanks in raw glass finish that can be fished 2 line weights up.. You might want to order one painted to slow it down a bit
Contact me if you want more info and price and my RB.org discount
regards,
Herb
Distrib. CTS rod blanks

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 08, 2020 10:50AM

I recently finished a seven-and-a-half foot, 4-piece graphite, 3-4 wt. rod for my son who is using it in the high Sierras. I bought the anonymous blank on line for $32.50, since it won't have to do any heroic long casting in those dinky mountain streams. I test-casted it when it was finished and was astonished when it threw a line 50 - 60 feet easy as pie. All the components combined cost less than $80, which is the only drawback: he can't brag about how much it cost - like Minnie Pearl and her hat with the price tag left on.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 08, 2020 11:01AM

Phil, he can brag about how little it cost too..that,s even more fun..lol.

Date: July 08, 2020 12:35PM

I would love to build on a fiberglass blank but, unfortunately, more $ than I'm willing to spend on a niche rod for me.

Phil - this type of build is what I really had in mind. Do you mind sharing the source of your blank?

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: July 08, 2020 12:43PM

ben: It's not so much "cost" as it is performance and catching fish versus $nobbish advertising and silly prices.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: July 08, 2020 04:25PM

I have both a 7'6" 3 and a 4 wt that I build on, and they definitely do not even come close to putting a strain on the bank account

Date: July 08, 2020 04:32PM

Ron Weber Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have both a 7'6" 3 and a 4 wt that I build on,
> and they definitely do not even come close to
> putting a strain on the bank account

Okay. You've got my attention Ron. Care to share any more details on what and where you get them?

Posted by: Marc Schwitters (---.sc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 08, 2020 05:17PM

I have built 2 rods on the Winston WT blank. In my case they were both 7' 2 wt but they make a blank in the parameters you are asking about. I paired the with single foot fuji Ti guides and Golden Witch slip ring reel seats and they turned out to be two of the best rods I have ever built. They cast like a dream but are on the $$ side but I figured I would add to the conversation since I don't know your budget.

Marc

Date: July 08, 2020 05:35PM

Marc Schwitters Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have built 2 rods on the Winston WT blank. In my
> case they were both 7' 2 wt but they make a blank
> in the parameters you are asking about. I paired
> the with single foot fuji Ti guides and Golden
> Witch slip ring reel seats and they turned out to
> be two of the best rods I have ever built. They
> cast like a dream but are on the $$ side but I
> figured I would add to the conversation since I
> don't know your budget.
>
> Marc

Thanks Marc. That would be out of my budget for what will be a very niche rod for me. The Revelation and MHX are about as high as I would be willing to spend ($100ish). Something like Ron's build of $80 total is more inline with what I'm really wanting to do. That would put the blank at <$50 ideally.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: July 08, 2020 06:54PM

Unhide your email

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 09, 2020 09:01AM

Mike: I went on-line and searched for "fly rod blanks" - but not by brand name. Maybe I just got lucky, but my no-label 4-piece graphite blank looks and performs as well as any and better than some that I spent seven times as much for. I could always email a expensive blank seller and claim I ruined the decal and need a replacement, then apply and flaunt the brand like Minnie Pearl flaunted the price tag on her hat on "The Grand Ole Opry".

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 09, 2020 09:03AM

Mike: I went on-line and searched for "fly rod blanks" - but not by brand name. Maybe I just got lucky, but my no-label 4-piece graphite blank looks and performs as well as any and better than some that I spent seven times as much for. I could always email a expensive blank seller and claim I ruined the decal and need a replacement, then apply and flaunt the brand like Minnie Pearl flaunted the price tag on her hat on "The Grand Ole Opry".

Posted by: Tim Kelly (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: July 17, 2020 02:41PM

Ron Weber, I would also be interested in the fiberglass rod blank options you have? Please let me know?
Thanks,

Tim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster