I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

setting guide spacing
Posted by: John LaValla (---)
Date: July 07, 2020 03:01PM

When I set my guide spacing I use a static setup for placing. Put rod at 45 degree angle , bend rod to a 90 degree angle , run line from reel through guides and start placing to have line mimic arc of rod. I use either CRB or St Croix spacing guide chart as a start then adjust as needed to make sure line runs smoothly and follows bend of rod. If I notice an angle in line I move guides till the line smooths out. I have used this for many types of guides with no problem. I have read and watched many videos with rod builders using wild mathematical equations and it really seems they end up with same result I get. My theory if no kinks in line, smooth path it will cast perfectly fine. Yea sometimes it looks like extra eye but with line smooth it doesn't put added pressure on a guide or the pole. Next is proper guide size. Which is better, smaller or larger? Is too large a butt guide just as bad as too small on a spinner? I mean for someone using a 4 - 500 series reel does it really make difference if starting with a 25 or a 20. Would you say butt guide size is vital? Also how about the, 'rule of thumb', i hear about, that you should never drop more than 4 sizes between guides, ie. first a 20 then a 16 to 12 then runout 8, as example. Any thoughts tips tricks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: setting guide spacing
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 07, 2020 03:10PM

The line is traveling straight and the rod is not flexed when being cast.

Most people use far too many guide sizes on most rods. There is no reason to use so many sizes, you could drop from a 20 to a 6 and the line angle drop would still be very gradual owing to the distance between the guides.

You may wish to read the New Guide Concept article in the online library here, or take a moment to look at the Anglers Resource guide sizing and placement article on their website. The MicroWave system makes things even easier.

Date: July 07, 2020 03:34PM

Tom Thanks. Yea i will check them out. So then for opinion is guide spacing more critical for casting distance or even load distribution through rod, or both.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 07, 2020 03:57PM

It's needed for both it's more critical for stress distribution. You will find, however, that good guide placement aids casting performance. I wouldn't overlook either.

Date: July 07, 2020 04:29PM

Gotcha. The static guide placement article you did is excellent, and it pretty much is what I do. I do not do it in 3 steps, slight bend then more then max bend. I have noticed how bend point moves, can be pretty big, on different length and power of rods, so yea a lighter rod with bend point higher on rod I use less weight to keep bend up were it naturally wants to bend. I have found out you can over bend a rod then guides look messed up and can not get smooth run. I really try to stop and hold it at the natural bend of rod without making tip point past horizontal. I guess what i am asking now , is it redundant to use concept then static if starting of with guide charts from like St Croix, or CRB, I must use concept sort of because my last step before wrapping is looking down shaft of rod and making sure a clear line of sight. It just seems , to me of which i am probably wrong, that guide spacing isn't so complicated and no need for a PHD in math if using a guide chart then tweaking with static load.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 08, 2020 09:26PM

John

It is true that a PhD isn’t necessary to set up a guide train. The fundamentals outlined in the New Guide Concept (NGC) and static testing articles will go a long way to a successful build. In fact if you look at techniques such as Fuji’s KR Concept and the American Tackle Microwave, you will find that they involve two straight lines just like the NGC. All 3 work well and give satisfactory results as do some older spacing charts that involve more sizes. This is because like most optimization problems, there are a broad range of solutions that work well. It’s not a problem with a singularly solution.

With a spinning rod choosing a butt guide with an appropriate height and placed in the right area of the blank will get you headed in the right direction. From there it’s a matter tweaking things to handle the line and load well. Beyond that making sure that the smallest guides in the layout will easily pass any required connections and you are good to go.

Joe

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 09, 2020 03:31PM

braided line takes all the mystery out of guide size and placement because just about everything works..i just finish making my third bow and arrow bush rod using a 61/2' glass rod, cut up to make a 5' rod that collapses to a 4' rod..the choke guide is 19" from reel face and the butt guide is 14" from the choke..the line runs from butt guide straight to the choke..i can B&A shoot up to 45'..i can,t nearly do this with mono or flouro only braided line..

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 09, 2020 03:35PM

ben belote Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> braided line takes all the mystery out of guide
> size and placement because just about everything
> works..i just finish making my third bow and arrow
> bush rod using a 61/2' glass rod, cut up to make a
> 5' rod that collapses to a 4' rod..the choke guide
> is 19" from reel face and the butt guide is 14"
> from the choke..the line runs from butt guide
> straight to the choke..i can B&A shoot up to
> 45'..i can,t nearly do this with mono or flouro
> only braided line..
that should read butt guide is 14" from reel face.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster