I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji K-series guides
Posted by: Matthew Schleif (71.66.86.---)
Date: July 06, 2020 11:51AM

Ok so total newbie here. I am building a 7 foot medium 1 piece bait casting rod, and would like to use Fuji K-series guides. I found guide size and placement for spinning rods, but not baitcaster. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji K-series guides
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 06, 2020 01:21PM

For a 7’ casting rod I use KW10 (or RV6) followed by a KW5.5 (or KB5.5) for the transition. I use KB/KT guides all the same size as runners. I mostly use a size 4.5 or 5, and on occasion I will use a size 4. I normally use 3 KB guides in the belly of the rod with the rest of the runners being KT guides in the tip section. I place the stripper about 19 to 20” in front of the reel, and the first runner about 9 to10 cm from the tip top. I progressively fill in the remaining distance to get a good starting point. I do a static test and then test cast to fine tune. For a 7’ rod I will normally use 9 to 10 total guides. Other people do it differently, but do it the way that works best for you. There are several very recent posts concerning this topic as well as many many older posts.
Norm

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: July 06, 2020 01:59PM

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 06, 2020 03:13PM

X2 with Norman. Can't do it much better than that.

Posted by: Matthew Schleif (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 06, 2020 06:09PM

thanks!

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 06, 2020 08:35PM

Norm

If you want to go with black aconite I would assume you would use the LC guide,,,,,correct?

Tom

Date: July 06, 2020 09:40PM

Tom, I have not used the LC lowrider guide as a stripper for a casting rod. The LC6 is shorter than the RV6 and also has a longer foot print. To get to the appropriate height you need to go to an LC10 which defeats the purpose. I think I would rather use the KW10. I do wish Fuji made the RV6 in a stainless frame, maybe one of these days. I understand Fuji has discontinued the black and bright stainless alconite KR guides. However, I think you can still find them. One can buy the Sic RV6 with a titanium or black titanium frame and get a pretty good match using the black or bright stainless framed Alconite KR guides to fill out the guide train. Does same some money.
Norm

Posted by: Brian Gross (50.226.78.---)
Date: July 07, 2020 10:08AM

I like to look up a similar blank on the Batson web site and start with there blue print builds for a rod of the same length and action.

Date: July 07, 2020 10:38AM

Norm
If Fuji has discontinued the black and bright stainless aconite KR guides what in the world are they thinking? Thet series represents over 90 % of what I build. The Alconite is a tremendous guide ring and in bass rods most all of my customers want it in black, I like the stainless myself. I do not care for the look of the CC guides and I believe that Fazlite is a lower grade of ceramic ?? So if this is true what are my options for offering a quality ring in a black frame?
If I want to jump ship, American Tackle offers their Ti Forged in a Nanolite ring and to truthfull it is a very good looking guide. However in the running guides they don't offer the double foot "tangle free" guide which is my number one selling guide.

Another question I have is that I repair hundreds of rods and I pride myself in replacing the original guides with the same guide. With the thousands of rods out there with K SERIES guides in Aconite black and stainless that leave me in a bad position for replacement . Maybe Jim Ising will comment on this please.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 07, 2020 10:49AM

Tom not absolutely sure, I heard it from a couple of different sources, but may be a rumor. Maybe Jim will comment, one way or the other. I personally like the BC finish.
Norm

Date: July 07, 2020 10:58AM

Norm Just to be on the safe side I ordered 50 KT guides in black. If it's just a rumor I'll have a nice supply for a while

Date: July 07, 2020 11:27AM

I just looked at the 2020 Fuji catalog and neither black nor bright stainless K guides were listed.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster