I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Casting rod stripper guide placement.
Posted by: Scott Lawrence (118.208.3.---)
Date: July 06, 2020 07:18AM

Hi guys, building my first casting rod that is a light 6 foot blank. The size 12 fuji Ln that I was going to use as a stripper needs to be only 16 inches in front of the reel to keep the line off the blank. Is 16 inches to close or should I go up to a size16 to get a bit more height so stripper can be moved back out a bit.
Thanks for any advice given.
Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Casting rod stripper guide placement.
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 06, 2020 08:33AM

I would keep the 12 and experiment with its placement to find if there is a better place for it (test cast). The fact that it will touch the blank under stress is not an issue, IMO. I usually put the stripper at 20 inches, Fuji RV6. Stay tuned, there will be more opinions to consider.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 06, 2020 10:20AM

Set the guide at 20 inches and then set up the rest of your guide train and check the line flow. Tweak the guides as necessary after that. You might find out that 25 inches would work well for the distance also.

Remember, you only need just enough guides. More guides just add unnecessary weight if not needed for line control.

Some 6 foot guides work very well with only 5 guides on the blank. Others require more.

Take care

Set the guide at 20 inches and then set up the rest of your guide train and check the line flow. Tweak the guides as necessary after that. You might find out that 25 inches would work well for the distance also.

Remember, you only need just enough guides. More guides just add unnecessary weight if not needed for line control.

Some 6 foot guides work very well with only 5 guides on the blank. Others require more.

Take care

Take care

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 06, 2020 11:52AM

On a 6 ft rod I would not go the 12 10 8 route because by the time you have chocked the line down you are half way up the rod or more. I would start with the 10 LN at 19 to 20 inches. You then can to to single or double foot 8 or even a 7. from there put the runners of choice on it all the way out. My choice depending on what line is being used would be Fuji 5's or even 4.5 KT guides.

Tom

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 06, 2020 12:32PM

Scott, this looks like a fun build..probably for small crankbaits and spinners..as Rich Forhan would say, look at your reel..there,s the first guide..is it a #12 or 10 or 8, no..so why do you need a #12 second guide..i would go with a #6 and run out with 4s and use nine or ten guides total..you,ll hardly feel the guide train..i don,t see anything wrong with a 16" butt guide distance..these light rods can flex into the butt a little..have fun with it..

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 06, 2020 01:40PM

I prefer KR guides for a casting rod. I use a KW10, or RV6, as the stripper, followed a KW5.5 or KB5.5 as a transition guide. For runners I like KB/KT guides in the size of your choice (5. 4.5, or 4). I place the stripper at approximately 19 to 20” in front of the reel, and progressively fill in the remains space with a number of runners that gives a good static test and casts well. The LN guides are normally used for a New Guide Concept (NGC) where the runners used are normally larger than the KR concept, size 6 or larger. However, KW and KB/KT guides can also be used in a NGC setup. A lot of posts on this topics.
Norm

Posted by: Scott Lawrence (118.208.3.---)
Date: July 06, 2020 04:06PM

Thanks for the replys gentleman, I did start with the stripper at 20 inches after some research on previous posts. At 20 inches the line would come down past blank in a deep bend. This blank bends into the butt end, slow or parabolic I think. Moved the stripper back about a inch and retest a few times till at 16 inches line no longer touches the blank. At the moment have 9 guides plus tip but it still needs 1 more running guide as line touches blank in mid section. 10 guides seems like alot for a rod of 6ft.
Cheers Scott

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 06, 2020 04:32PM

I'd use an SV framed guide as my stripper it will give you about 20 percent more room, ring to blank.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 06, 2020 05:48PM

Scott Lawrence Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the replys gentleman, I did start with
> the stripper at 20 inches after some research on
> previous posts. At 20 inches the line would come
> down past blank in a deep bend. This blank bends
> into the butt end, slow or parabolic I think.
> Moved the stripper back about a inch and retest a
> few times till at 16 inches line no longer touches
> the blank. At the moment have 9 guides plus tip
> but it still needs 1 more running guide as line
> touches blank in mid section. 10 guides seems like
> alot for a rod of 6ft.
> Cheers Scott

that,s because your not used to using "more guides than called for"..lol.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: July 06, 2020 07:08PM

The width of the revolving spool of the reel you mate to the rod usually influences the point at which the first guide is placed. With the small size of this rod/reel you probably don't need to worry too much about function. I would put the guide where it looks best.

Posted by: Scott Lawrence (1.132.109.---)
Date: July 06, 2020 07:57PM

The reel is a shimano Caius 150. Have not heard about the width of the revolving spool coming into play. Will have to research that one. The learning continues.
Cheers Scott.

Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 06, 2020 09:54PM

Consider using a spiral wrap. You can reduce the number of guides with this layout.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster