I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Flex Coat Lite over decal
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 07, 2020 10:55AM

Michael,
Actually, it is pretty easy to use flex coat with no CP over india ink.

The secret is to never brush the flex coat in the area of the India ink. You simply need to put on about the right amount of finish on the blank in the areas of the India Ink, have the finish thin enough so that it flows nicely and then let the turning blank let the finish flow just enough so that it covers the ink with no brushing over the top of the finish.

If you take the slightly warm thin finish and brush it over the top of the india ink, you will brush away the ink.

But, if you just let the right amount of finish flow over the ink, with no applicator pressure over the top of the finish for smoothing, the ink will remain undisturbed. Practice on a couple of test inscriptions will give you the process to have a perfect inscription every time.

Take care

p.s
However, in recent years, I will also say, that I no longer use india Ink for inscriptions. Rather, I use Acrylic ink. Easier to use, less sensitive to the environment and equally attractive.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 07, 2020 12:36PM

Thanks, Roger. I've not yet gotten confidence in that method. A little screw up, and it's a mess.

Posted by: Frank Domino (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: July 11, 2020 08:59AM

It seemed to me that the 10 minute pot life did not help in making it wavy, I’m in Florida working in my garage with air temp of 85+. I had touched up a couple of guide wraps and moved to the butt wrap and the mixture was already getting a little thicker. I only have a 9rpm dryer and I’m guessing it’s to slow for the flex coat lites pot life, I just ordered a variable speed dryer which should work better. Does anyone use a lite finish with a longer pot life then 10 minutes, for some reason that info is only posted on some web sites.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster