I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gap between grip and blank
Posted by: Mark Schoenbaum (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: July 03, 2020 11:59AM

I have only built a dozen rods, mostly fly rods...so, bear with my amateur rod building ways. I bought a carbon fiber fly grip this time. If I had to do it again, I would have wrapped thread to bulk out the blank slightly for better adherence of grip to blank. Instead, I wrapped just one layer of fiberglass drywall tap around, put Rod Bond on, and twisted the grip on. After it was dry, I realized that the rod bond, and probably drywall tape, was wiped/pushed down to the butt end of the grip, with little at the forward end. This left the butt end glued very securely but left an unglued gap all the way around between blank and grip at the other end, forward end. I can get a small sewing needle down about an inch, maybe more, in this gap. What would be the suggestion for eliminating this "slop"? I was thinking letting a low viscosity epoxy of some type drip down the gap. Or pushing some expanding gorilla glue down there (probably not, too messy and hard to remove). I suppose that I could cut the grip off, buy a new one, and start over but...I want to get fishing! Thanks in advance for any suggestions to fix this.

Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gap between grip and blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 03, 2020 12:58PM

The idea of allowing a thin type epoxy to run down into the gap isn't bad all. Something like Flex Coat Rod Builders Epoxy (adhesive not finish) would be idea. Put the bottles somewhere very warm for an hour. Maybe a garage, car, etc. This will thin it yet further (but also reduce pot life). Mix quickly and apply around the area at the fore end of the grip. Keep a towel with denatured alcohol handy in case things get a little messy there. Stand the rod straight up and let gravity work as best it can. Remember, there may be some air trapped in that gap and you won't get a perfect fill, but it should be enough to salvage what you have and provide good use.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: July 03, 2020 01:25PM

Mask the top of the grip and the adjacent rod butt with masking tape and carefully heat up the top end of the grip and the adjacent rod butt with a hair dryer or some similar device. Then take some just-preheated, slow-cure, mixed epoxy, the thinnest, runniest you can find, and daub or inject it in the crack where the top of the reel grip meets the rod. Chill the grip and adjacent blank as quickly as you can, which will cause the air inside the grip to contract and suck the epoxy in. Wipe off the excess epoxy with a rag dipped in thinner. If you had to destroy a synthetic winding check to do this you can build a tapered ramp with guide-winding thread and epoxy it. It will look just fine.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: July 03, 2020 02:53PM

Partially fill the gap with baking soda tap the side of the seat to level it then add a few drops of crazy glue (NOT GEL) to saturate the baking soda repeat this process until the gap is filled

I saw this process for other repairs on u- tube, check it out.

Good luck

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 03, 2020 06:07PM

John, i wonder what kind of fumes you get from that reaction..lol..maybe it makes hair grow back?lol..

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 03, 2020 06:19PM

I concur with using a thin slow cure epoxy with a hairdryer to get it to flow into the gap. To prevent this from happening again, tack the leading edge of the dry wall tape to the blank with a drop or two of superglue before wrapping. This prevents the tape from ‘walking’ when the epoxy is applied.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2020 06:22PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: July 03, 2020 09:15PM

Ben I wonder too, I never tried it myself, but I would treat it like any other potential toxic material, work in a ventilated area and wear personal protection equipment. Those interested can get a lot of info from the internet.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 03, 2020 09:54PM

I would be cautious of that one. I realize that if it's on the internet it must be true, but there are best practices and there are, well, not so best practices.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: July 03, 2020 10:33PM

I use drywall tape for build up when needed usually for reel seats. What I have done is do some narrow bands of masking tape that fit the reelseat or grip tight. I place the masking tape at the ends drywall tape in the middle.I then build up the drywall tape so there is a slight gap. I heavily coat the drywall tape with a paste type epoxy and install the grip or reelseat. The grip or reelseat will be aligned by the tight fit on the masking tape. The grip or reelseat will be bonded to the blank my the epoxy which is reinforced by the mesh of the drywall tape. Any slight gap or visible tape gets covered my the butt cap or the winding check. I glue those on with a five minute epoxy that will flow a little down into any gap.Works very well.

In the case of filling a gap get a slow cure liquid epoxy. Heat it up slightly after mixing to thin it. A syringe with a large gauge needle, like a 18 gauge, works real well to inject in down into the gap. Leave the rod vertical for about half hour and try to inject a little more of warmed epoxy.

Date: July 05, 2020 10:07AM

Thank you all for the great ideas. I see that Mudhole has a slow cure "Optimum Flow" epoxy. I am assuming that it is liquid/low viscosity but have never used it. I will give it a shot. Tight lines.

Mark

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 05, 2020 12:39PM

Mark, i use the slow cure epoxy for flocking because it goes on very thick..it wasn,t optimum flow even in summer heat..lol..but that,s what i wanted..

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 06, 2020 05:47AM

Might be better off with a "laminating" epoxy like West systems.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: July 06, 2020 03:07PM

Good points. I have a question in to Mudhole about what they have in less viscous epoxy. Some of the crack sealing epoxies might be better since they are almost as thin as water. They are for concrete cracks primarily. I am not sure there is enough flexibility to them. Maybe I will go back to what Tom K and other said about heating regular epoxy to keep it thin.

Mark

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 06, 2020 03:34PM

Any of the various 30 to 40 min rod building component epoxies will work. Can also use Devcon 2 ton epoxy, it is sold in many local hardware stores, such as Ace hardware, and thus is readily available. It is quite flexible and very strong. Apply it to the gap, heat gently with a hair dryer until it flows into the gap and repeat until the gap is filled. Add a winding check and clean up with DNA. Should only take a few minutes and you should get excellent results.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster