I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cutting a blank to shorten it
Posted by: Fred Kneipp (209.160.17.---)
Date: July 02, 2020 03:17PM

What are most of you using as a cutoff tool to shorten a blank? I tryed a dremel with a thin cutting disk but didn’t get a smooth concentric cutoff.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting a blank to shorten it
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: July 02, 2020 03:44PM

10” Ryobi chopsaw with finetooth blade. I have v blocks I set the blank in to stabilize while cutting and tape over are to be cut. Go slow and wear a mask to keep from breathing graphite dust. I only cut from the butt of the blank and have not used this to cut from tip side

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: July 02, 2020 05:03PM

I use a Dermel with a cut off wheel. It is not necessary for the cuts to be perfectly smooth or perpendicular..

If you are cutting from the tip, the tip top tube covers the end. If you are cutting from the butt, the grip, butt cap or plug will cover butt end.

Have fun

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 02, 2020 05:41PM

I use a chop saw with a very thin cut off wheel. Dead smooth cuts.

I also use this saw:

[www.harborfreight.com]

I took the saw, and removed it from the base. Then ,I removed all of the stuff on the base with respect to miter clamps etc. Then ,I used a disk sander to remove all of the etchings on the surface of the base.
Finally, I took a piece of 1/4 inch x 1/4 inch angled aluminum and installed it on the base of the saw - in line with the motor center line, or the center hole of the cut off disk. I only want it for chopping and I don't want to cut any angles.
Then, I removed the blade guard and installed a 3 inch cut off disk to do the actual cutting:

[www.harborfreight.com]

I then took a piece of 2x 12 to use for a base and installed 4 rubber feet on the underside of the board and finally screwed the saw down to the board to keep the saw from moving around the bench when cutting.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

This is a very convenient 3 inch chop saw that excels at cutting blanks. Square cut that is left perfectly smooth.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 02, 2020 05:41PM

I use a chop saw with a very thin cut off wheel. Dead smooth cuts.

I also use this saw:

[www.harborfreight.com]

I took the saw, and removed it from the base. Then ,I removed all of the stuff on the base with respect to miter clamps etc. Then ,I used a disk sander to remove all of the etchings on the surface of the base.
Finally, I took a piece of 1/4 inch x 1/4 inch angled aluminum and installed it on the base of the saw - in line with the motor center line, or the center hole of the cut off disk. I only want it for chopping and I don't want to cut any angles.
Then, I removed the blade guard and installed a 3 inch cut off disk to do the actual cutting:

[www.harborfreight.com]

I then took a piece of 2x 12 to use for a base and installed 4 rubber feet on the underside of the board and finally screwed the saw down to the board to keep the saw from moving around the bench when cutting.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

This is a very convenient 3 inch chop saw that excels at cutting blanks. Square cut that is left perfectly smooth.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 02, 2020 06:13PM

I usually use a dremel but I've been known to use a bench grinder. As John said if it's not square the butt cap or the tip top covers it.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 02, 2020 09:23PM

Make sure you put masking tape around the blank where it is going to be cut, that way it won't splinter. You can cut it with just about anything then, including a hacksaw. I usually use a Dremel with a diamond cutting wheel. Was going to get what Roger is using but just didn't get around to it.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: July 03, 2020 01:17PM

Masking tape an score the point you want to cut is the best for me , ,an yes it is a little over kill but it is my way ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 03, 2020 05:43PM

an 8" three cornered file run along an edge of masking tape, outside..use the file to knock off the rough edges.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster