I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

matching line, rod, and user
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: July 01, 2020 09:13AM

When you build a fly rod for a customer approximately what percentage of them specify blank and components? Do you try to observe the customer casting before you make suggestions about blanks and components?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: matching line, rod, and user
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 01, 2020 11:42AM

Phil,
Customers always state their concept of what they perceive they need. This may, or may not, change after discussion.

Geography precludes casting visuals. Even if they were available - novice casters improve with better mechanics.

Most frequent disagreement is on their insistence on using ceramic running guides.
I dissuade most - but not all.
Anyway - who knows what they install in private.
Herb
CTS U.S. Distrib. rod blanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2020 11:43AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: July 01, 2020 02:18PM

I limit what blanks and components I will use on my builds, most of my customers know this by looking at my website and it is explained why I use these component vendors and blank manufactures. I'm sure it limits the folks who will contact me for a build, but that is just the way I prefer to do my builds. I will discuss with the customer what options are open to them and go over the best possible blank option to meet the needs of what they are going to use it for, along with the skill set of the customer. I agree with Herb, better mechanics does help a novice caster. If a customer is local, I do have by appointment shop hours where they can come and test cast some of my own stuff and see the components first hand.

Most of my builds are Fiberglass Fly Rods, like 80% or more. Most of these customers are not "new to glass" and know pretty much what they are after. Most of my "new to glass" customers are local, so I can let them test cast what I do have in my own personal stock of builds.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-167-114-11.net)
Date: July 01, 2020 03:37PM

A person that specifies the blank, guides, etcetera that he wants is not looking for a custom rod builder. He is looking for a rod assembler. I will do it but always tell them that if they supply the components then they supply the warranty and any dissatisfaction with how the rod might perform. Somebody once said its like going into a restaurant with your own groceries, telling the cook or chef how to prepare it for you and then being upset when it is not to your liking.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 01, 2020 06:50PM

I do a pretty extensive in person interview, where I gather as much information as I can about their abilities, rod likes and dislikes. especially if they have a favorite rod.

I will build on a preferred blank of their choice, but mostly build on blanks I select for them. Predominantly selecting the blank I feel is best for their use and budget. I do not build on the cheap! If that is their desire I send them to Walmart!

As for lines, I will recommend what I think matches the rod and it's use, I do not supply it.

Almost all of my builds are from referrals.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: July 01, 2020 09:15PM

A simple definition of the term custom made is. “made to fit the needs or requirements of a particular person.”

If the customer wants a specific blank, guides, grip, reel seat etc. then the builder and the customer should discuss the specifications, feasibility, cost and time line of the project and if both parties reach an agreement the work begins. If no agreement can be reached then the builder should refer them to someone else.

If a person supplies all the components and asks the builder to assemble them, the builder is still providing a custom rod for that particular person and there should be no implied question of the builders competence or ruffling of egos.

The customer is relying on the builders skills and expertise to provide a service which the customer for whatever reason is unable to do themselves.

As far as a warranty goes the builder must make it clear that his/hers only responsibility is the quality of workmanship.

Unfortunately after the rod leaves your shop there is no telling what care or abuse the rod will suffer.

Your only consolation is you gave it your best effort.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 02, 2020 02:51AM

Just tell me what you want the rod to do and how it will be used. I can usually figure out the rest. Most of my customers don't know jack about components but know brand names and how this brand and model performed for them. We go from there. I used to shape surfboards but the only problem with a fishing rod is that you can not shape the "magic" into it. It is much easier, just put the properties of the blanks, grips and the guides together and you will have a great rod. The only problem is getting to that point and then someone makes a new blank and you start from ground zero. I never charge anything for the build until it is finished and they can cast it and tell me that it is worth paying for. I base my cost on the cost of the components and materials then a standard labor charge (that is not enough). This is a hobby for me and not a business, but I do make a little off it and it usually goes back to buying more components and building a few rods for myself. I do not make cheap rods so I am in the same mind set as Phil Erickson, Walmart and Academy can do it a lot cheaper than me, but of course it will not work as good.

Date: July 03, 2020 09:41AM

Ten minutes of instruction and practice can turn a novice into an effective spin caster, but not an effective fly caster. This invites problems in customer satisfaction with a custom built fly rod. Unless I can watch the prospective customer fly cast I won't make any suggestions about the components or construction of a fly rod. Is it better to risk an angry customer or to cull out those whose fly casting skills are unknown?

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: July 03, 2020 10:35AM

How does the proficiency of the customer influence the selection of components or construction of a fishing rod.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 03, 2020 11:52AM

both my brother and nephew never fly fished or wanted to..i handed them my tenkara rod and gave no instructions except to watch me..now i can,t get my rods back..i think it,s a good way to gain a sense of timing..they don,t know it yet but if they picked up a fly rod they would fall in love with it too..

Date: July 03, 2020 05:52PM

If I had to "cull out" all those who I could not watch fly cast, I'd turn away 80% of my business! And I have NEVER had and "angry customer!"

I have customers in NY, Alaska, Oregon, Utah, British Columbia and France, too much trouble and cost to go watch them cast!! LOL

Date: July 03, 2020 07:20PM

Fast action fly rods demand precise timing, while slower action fly rods are more forgiving of inexact timing. The inexperienced fly caster will experience more success at first with a slower action rod. When he/she gets the necessary timing and coordination down with a slower rod he or she can master a faster action fly rod with a greatly improved chance of success and a much diminished chance of abandoning fly casting.

Date: July 03, 2020 09:45PM

Phil, many if not most of us that build fly rods know that! So when we build the experience level of the customer is or should be considered when recommending blanks.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 03, 2020 10:42PM

A fast action fly rod, provided the proper line has been mated to it, is very easy to cast. Too many fishermen are using lines that are too light for such rods, for the conditions in which they normally fish.

Date: July 04, 2020 08:39AM

Phil: I was responding specifically to the question posed above by Mr. DiMartini. I did the best I could. My experience is that beginning casters panic when using a fast action fly rod because things happen, well, "fast". They tend to just wave the rod back and forth rather than wait for the line to straighten out and give that little "tug". In my opinion a slower action fly rod expedites a beginner's recognition of the timing which is critical to successful fly casting.

Date: July 04, 2020 11:59AM

Phil, I agree with you that a slower action fly rod usually suits a beginning caster better, as they get the feel that waiting for the tug gives them. That is one of the reasons I ask if they have a favorite rod, so I might get an indication of the action they like.

What becomes interesting is when a customer focuses more on the fish playing action then the casting performance. This is often the case where they predominantly fish large rivers for bigger fish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster