I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Texas Wading Build
Posted by: David Wilson (---)
Date: June 30, 2020 02:59PM

Hi All,

Was hoping someone here has experience fishing/building for the south Texas speckled trout scene. I’ve not fished there but want to build a rod for a friend. Seems strange in that they seem to use pretty light action rods but are throwing pretty heavy baits such as Paul Brown Fat Boys. Does anyone have a recommendation as to a good blank to build on?

Best,
David

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Texas Wading Build
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 30, 2020 06:13PM

My son lives in Harlingen, hope I spelled it right, he says the Rainshadow SP blanks are pretty popular down there.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 30, 2020 07:11PM

I live on the central Gulf coast of Texas and fish all the bay systems. I personally use a 6'9" medium light power and fast action rod that can cast 1/8 oz plastics to a Top Dog (or a Zara Spook). The Fat boys are somewhere in between that. My preferred blank is a North Fork Composites (NFC) P 703-1 (HM/LMX). It is a 7' blank that I will cut down to 6' 8.75" to net a 6'9" finished rod. These are incredible blanks; I flipped my kayak in really shallow water, totally upside down in a rod holder that puts it in an almost straight up position and to my surprise it did not break. That was 3 years ago and I heavily fish that rod. There are a lot of other good blanks and I would say one of the most popular blanks used down here is the Batson Rainshadow SP842 and the SP843 these are both good blanks. The Revelation and Immortal blanks are also good but little more costly. The main thing is medium light or medium power and fast action on the blank. I have also found that the younger guys prefer shorter rods (6'4" to 6'9") and the older ones like up to 7'6". The butt section of the rod needs to be shorter for a wading rod, usually about 3" to 4" from the elbow when holding it in a reeling in position. Mine are 9"-9.5" from the tip of the butt to the rear anchor point on the reel seat. These are all baitcaster rods made for low profile baitcasters like a Shimano Core or Curado 50mg (13 Fishing A type or Lews BB1, Pro Ti).

Date: July 01, 2020 09:26AM

Thanks for the input. I’ve decided to try the Revelation 842. I will also cut down to 6’8.75” to end up with a 6’9 as mentioned above. Looking at the specs, I’m not sure I can find a ECSM reel seat to fit . Looks like they make them down to a 9.5 size and I will need someone in 8.5 or smaller.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 01, 2020 10:15AM

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 01, 2020 10:15AM

Posted by: John C. Allgood (---)
Date: July 04, 2020 01:42AM

Most use blanks that are rated to cast 1/8 or 1/4 oz to 5/8 or 3/4 oz lures. Some a little lighter, some a little heavier. I throw 1/8 oz jig heads to 3/4 oz spoons and everything in between. Topwater's in the 1/2 to 5/8 oz range are the most fun for me, but I catch more numbers pm the soft plastics. Most any rod that fits the budget can me made to work effectively. I go with the best that the budget allows.
I am one of those older waders and like a 7' 6" rod. I like a shorter cork handle with a palm swell. I use some 9" handles but prefer a 7" handle.
Wading for specks often requires long casts, especially for bigger fish and that is better accomplished with a longer rod. The shorter handle also allows more of the rod length to effectively lengthen casts.

Date: July 04, 2020 11:08AM

Thanks John, what blank do you prefer?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster