I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Chinook Hover Rod Guides
Posted by: Jordan Smith (---.20.125.79.pnnl.gov)
Date: June 29, 2020 05:39PM

I am building a hover/jigging/light bouncing rod for chinook on the Columbia with a Lamiglas SI 941 MH. I am going to spiral wrap this rod and am considering using a 10 or 8 MXN stripper and size 4 Alps fly guides for runners.

I have a couple questions:

1. Am I crazy or will these little mini guides hold up to hot chinook?

2. How does one choose an "optimal" stripper size for spiral wraps? I see a lot of recipes for size 12s, but I always seem to end up with something smaller on the the rods I spiral wrap. I was just curious if there was something that I am missing as a freshman builder.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chinook Hover Rod Guides
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 29, 2020 08:27PM

The guides you describe have been used on rods more powerful than what your building. I personally have caught a 52 lb. King on those guides and many more over two weeks. The guides have been tested to take far more load than your rod or fish would ever put on them. They have had dead weights tied directly to them which subjects them to far more load than would ever be put on them with a line and load slipping through them. Since you're not casting with the rod, I'm not sure stripping guide size is all that important, guide height might be something to think about. What reel are you using?
I use the same guide train for guides on top, or spiral wrapped rods, I have used double foot guides in the spiral of customer's rods because some have a problem bending the single foots in transport and storage, I personally have never had a problem.

Posted by: Jordan Smith (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 30, 2020 12:17AM

Thanks Spencer. That guide train sounds like a winner.

For a reel, I'll probably use a 301 sized curado e or something similar. Heck, maybe I'll try to keep really light with a 200 sized low pro...

If I were casting, would you use a larger stripper?

Thanks.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 30, 2020 01:15PM

I don't see why a 201 wouldn't work, it's more of a fight straight down than off to the side, and you'll see a lot of Daiwa Accudepth 15 ICV being used out there, which have similar line capacities. The depth feature really isn't needed, it's just the people putting their steelhead plug reels to good use. I just spool to the bottom, reel up two cranks and I'm fishing. I'd let the rod tell me what works for casting, I test cast everything I build, but I also factor in that particular rod's anticipated usage. If it's a vertical presentation rod and going to bigger guides changes the casting performance only slightly, I'll sacrifice a few yards casting performance for decreased weight and increased sensitivity every time. Back in the early 80's I ordered a European match rod to do some carp fishing with friends, knowing nothing about carp I bought one rated 1-4 kg., 2-8 lb. test, little did I know the folly of my selection, those fish were bulldozers with fins.When I got my spinning rod it had a stripper guide of 10 mm and it was a double foot match guide. I of course thought either me or the rodbuilder was crazy, but I put my Shimano 2000 reel on it and a 1/6 oz. Acme Kastmaster and did some trout fishing with it, it cast the lure into next week compared to any of my other trout rods. I was soon fishing both banks of some pretty decent steelhead rivers from one bank with that rod, I no longer have a normal guide system I build to, I let the fishing rod and the individual needs dictate what I build.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2020 02:15PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Jordan Smith (---.20.211.79.pnnl.gov)
Date: July 02, 2020 01:15PM

Thanks Spencer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster