I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Test Cast
Posted by: Keith Langford (---)
Date: June 28, 2020 02:19PM

So I test casted my PB731MXF rod I am building for small crankbaits, Norman provided me with the guidetrane and layout and after thought I decided to go with the spiral wrap, which from this point on all my bass baitcasters will be. I also went with Normans suggestion 0f 60 120 180, after static testing with 2 line method I went to test cast ( Note to self: do not test cast with just the dental bands, they all flew to the tip top and I had a mess). So after reinstalling all the guides and adding tape to hold them on, I went outside and holy moly, Cast a 3/8 test plug a country mile, Reeled all the line back in ( no build up to one side as I offset the stripper guide about 5-7 degrees and proceeded to make about 20 more casts. I have never owned a finer casting rod or reel, the Diawa Steez is worth every penny, didnt even have to thumb the spool. Cant wait to actually get to fish with it. waiting on some metalic thread to add trim bands to the wraps. My next rod after completeing this one will be another Point Blank for Pitching, preferably 7'6". Thanks to everyone for their input and help, I love this forum and RodMaker magazine.

Keith Langford

Re: Test Cast
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 28, 2020 02:59PM

That's a great blank. I don;t make many spirals, but when I do I don't offset the first guide. And the line does not build up on one side. I think that the simple spiral doesn't have that problem like some of the other spirals do. Which way did you offset the stripper to?

Date: June 28, 2020 04:40PM

Same way as spiral, to the left. The steez requires handle up when casting, or at least that is what is reccomended, so I figured the line already wants to go to the bottom on the left so why not do the spiral that way.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 28, 2020 05:10PM

Many spiral to the same side as the handle so that when they lie the rod on the boat deck any transition guides are up, rather than down. It's all personal preference and isn't likely to make much difference under actual use.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: June 28, 2020 05:13PM

Happy you liked it. It’s not hard to make a great performing rod. Never tried a Diawa Steez, maybe one of these days.o

Norm

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: June 29, 2020 03:21PM

Sounds like a successful build. How many feet (or yards) longer did your new rod cast?

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 29, 2020 03:57PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like a successful build. How many feet (or
> yards) longer did your new rod cast?

A country mile. LOL

Date: June 30, 2020 06:06AM

Phil , I didnt measure in feet, I just know I have never thrown a 3/8 weight anywhere near as far before with any other rod/reel combo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster