I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

In praise of Excellence
Posted by: Richard Forhan (---)
Date: June 24, 2020 09:05PM

I have the new RodMaker vol. 23 issue 3 in my hands, if you don’t, why not? Tom has once again published a classic. His articles on the Simple Spiral revisited and The Next Thing get to the core like no one ever has. This site will eventually cover parts of the articles, but why wait for second hand regurgitation of the original ? There is no such thing as a free lunch, despite the internets intention. This issue could be the start of a classic 6 issues that many will wish they had subscribed to. It may be the best $30 you will invest in your craft, if you already haven’t. Anyone else share my opinion? Oh, it’s also the start of my 12 “Magic Wand” articles.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: In praise of Excellence
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 25, 2020 07:38AM

Mr. Forhan

I totally agree!!
Much of the info I've gleaned from Rod Maker over the past 13 years has been Priceless
I can't even imagine how lacking this craft would with out the education many have received from the articles of this magazine.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 25, 2020 10:44AM

Hello All.

I also agree, the magazine is very informative to pro's and newbies.

Thanks Tom & Crew.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 25, 2020 12:20PM

Does it still come through the mail? lol.

Posted by: Keith Langford (---.health-partners.org)
Date: June 25, 2020 12:36PM

I am currently on my third rod build, when I decided to start building my own rods, I first sold every rod I owned, some very nice and expensive ones I might add, partly to fund the purchase of the rod building equipment I wanted to buy and secondly to put myself in a "all In mode". I then started to research for forums and magazines in which I found this one,thank God, and RodMaker magazine to which I immediately subscribed. I have received two publications so far and while I dont know didly about rodbuilding between those mags and this forum I have built 2 rods that turned out excellent and have gotten nothing but compliments, which is nice but the proof is in the pudding, these 2 rods outperformed anything I have ever owned. And I owe it all to this forum, particualy Norman for his personal help and info and that magazine. I am in the process of setting up a crankbait rod and I am going to use the simple spiral method. In short anyone who does not subscribe to the Rodmaker mag needs to.

Keith Langford

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2020 07:45AM by Keith Langford.

Posted by: Pete Rinkevich (193.37.252.---)
Date: June 25, 2020 04:11PM

Been building for about a year. Subscribed to RodMaker a month or so ago and received my first issue just the other day. I attended ICRBE back in Feb and picked up a few copies of back issues while there. Most definitely a well put together publication. I find it to be well worth the very reasonable price. Thanks to all those involved in its publication.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 25, 2020 05:10PM

Been a subscriber for maybe 16+ years, always a great read ,and great pictures. Going to go back through my magazines and hopefully find Tom's article on the portable rod bench and incorporate some of the ideas in my new bench I'm building.

Date: June 26, 2020 11:11AM

Hello Spence.

Try volume 15- issue 4- page 12.

I think that is the one you are looking for.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 26, 2020 11:39AM

It was a 3 or 4 part series written as the complete bench and accessories were being built so you may have to extend out from issue 4 on to issue 6 or even the first issue of the subsequent volume.

Date: June 26, 2020 01:04PM

Thanks Tom!

I just looked again and found this.

Volume / Issue Page
11/1 Tools: Mobile Rod Building Workshop (Part 3 ). 22
10/5 Tools: Mobile Rod Building Workshop I of III. 10
10/6 Tools: Mobile Rod Building Workshop II of III. 22, I think because my index says pg 22 (I lost 10/6 to Florence).

Sorry for the mix-up.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2020 01:34PM by Robert A. Guist.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 26, 2020 02:40PM

I believe that's the correct series.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 27, 2020 01:18PM

Thanks for the help fellas.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster