I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for a blank similar to a Dan Craft Sig IV 8'9" 4wt
Posted by: Troy Ketela (205.189.56.---)
Date: June 24, 2020 10:00AM

It's been a few years since I've built a rod, although prior to that, I'd roll up ~5 a year. I'm not at all familiar with most of the current blanks save for MHX, from I built a few 6wts a couple of years ago, so I'm looking for some recommendations.

I recently organized my rod collection, and came across a rod that I built ~15 years ago, a Dan Craft 8'9" 4wt. I think was his Sig IV series, I can't recall - it has the exterior spiral wrap, so is unsanded. Handsome in my opinion. I hadn't really fished the rod after making it, but this spring I took it out and was extremely pleased with it. It worked best with a 5wt line, so needed a slight overlining. No problem putting out ~60-65 feet, which made it a fun dry fly rod for lake fishing. I have a bunch of the Dan Craft Five Rivers blanks that I built up into rods at that time - some were a bit clubby, but this 8'9" 4wt was an absolute gem. Light, crisp, quick recovery, but without being too stiff. Great fun to fight a 4-5lb trout on too.

I'd like to build a similar rod for a buddy who I think would really like the action, so I'm looking for a blank with a similar action to the DC, and would love to hear suggestions!

Thanks!

Re: Looking for a blank similar to a Dan Craft Sig IV 8'9" 4wt
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 25, 2020 02:32PM

Troy,
You're probably not getting any responses because there is really noblanks similar.
I think hey were 3 piece. It was the first blank I built on - and the first rod (a #10) that gave me shoulder tendonitis. It was a horrible blank - IMO.
The Five Rivers - on the other hand - while being way underrated in line weight - is a great casting rod. I need to use the #7 rod with a #9 line.
If I remember - the Sig5 is not a particularly fast rod. Certainly not as fast as the Five Rivers.

Anyway - some 9'0" options:
CTS Affinity-X #4. Very fast.
CTS Affinity-M #5. Med fast

Herb
CTS

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 25, 2020 05:50PM

The only raw blanks that I ever seen that were that length were the Sig V blanks and they had an ERN in the 5.5 range, an AA of 65 - 66 degrees and they dampened very quickly while casting, high 57 - 58 modulus and light in the hand. I own four Sig V rods. My Sig IV 905 5 pc. was lost by overstressing the blank to the point it broke off the female ferrule clean exactly where the male blank ended. I was chasing a hot 32" trout on the Kvichak River near Igiugig, AK. Caught something in my reel and before I could react, Boom. I banked and released the fish, thank you 12 lb. fluorocarbon. Usually I bring heavier rods, but this was set up to be a light rod trip, nothing over a five weight, I wasn't the only one who blew up rods that trip, only one 3 wt. survived and that's only because the owner tied a crappy line to backing knot.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 25, 2020 10:29PM

Yeah - forgot that about the Sig. 5 blanks - brittle.
Herb

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 28, 2020 01:32PM

It was a Sig IV, 5 pc. My Sig Vs have been just fine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster