I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

offshore/nearshore rod blank recommendation
Posted by: mitchell_page (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 23, 2020 05:14PM

So I have 3 Rainshadow rod blanks on order for live bait fishing for kings (JDGLB70L). They will be paired with Valiant BVL600 reels spooled with mono. Check that box.

Wanted a recommendation for another blank. I have 2 smaller reels that I'd like to spool with braid (then mono topshot) and use them with hard lures while slow trolling (Russelure or Rapala X-Rap Magnum) or to use on the bottom with a h-lo rig. I was thinking graphite 7' with moderate action but wanted to get any suggestions. Not concerned about price at this point.

FYI, I have 2 spare Phenix Black Diamond 700M blanks that I was going to use for spinning cobia/king rods but could just as easily use them for this purpose and get different (perhaps 7'6") blanks for the spinners. So don't hold back on recommendations for spinning rod blanks if you think I should use the 700M blanks for this application.

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: offshore/nearshore rod blank recommendation
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 26, 2020 06:23PM

Mitchell, I see nobody has answered so I'll jump in despite being out of the picture for awhile due to being hit by a car (when I was mowing the lawn!).

Pulling magnum plugs can be effective and can be done at fairly high speeds. What you want in a blank is a light enough tip to see when you are fouled with seaweed but a strong enough butt to handle trolling at 10 knots.

Bottom line, a live bait blank offers a lot of those characteristics. If I was you, I'd build each of your blanks for your intended purposes and try them out at trolling the plugs. I'd base my decision for dedicated plug trolling blank based on how you want it to be different from those two blanks.

Sort of like coming back later and saying I like how the judge blank lets me know when the plug is fouled with grass but I like the stronger butt of the Phenix. Then I might say something like try out a Lamiglas tri-flex. Or you might say you have trouble keeping the fish hooked after the initial strike and I might say try a slower action blank like a IFGA glass trolling blank.

Good luck. It always helps to mention the area you fish and the species you are after. You mention those plugs and my mind goes to grouper, kingfish, and wahoo......and that might not even be close to what you are after.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster