I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

10 weight guide placement
Posted by: Scott Abbatoy (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 23, 2020 11:22AM

I just built the handle portion of my first fly rod. This will be a pike and Musky rod by American Tackle. It is a 2 piece rod that I put a long 6" fighting butt on. I used a winn grip and modified / a rear butt out of a winn fore grip. I was looking at 3 stripper guides before I run the fly guides. Will running the longer fighting butt throw off my spacing.??? Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 10 weight guide placement
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 23, 2020 11:50AM

A fighting butt has no effect on guide placement! Why 3 strippers?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 23, 2020 11:56AM

There is only one stripping guide on a fly rod - it's the first one from the reel.

I assume you mean three ringed guides and then snakes? Nothing wrong with that as the lower half to lower third of the rod carries the bulk of the load so the ceramics will give you a bit smoother in and out of the line.

Spacing will not be any different due to a fighting butt. Put the stripper guide 32 inches beyond the rear end of the reel seat.

Date: June 23, 2020 12:05PM

You are right I was running a stripper guide and then 2 more guides before my string of fly guides. I am good with less guides but figured I would need to step down gradually from a 20 stripper to 8's. Thanks

Date: June 23, 2020 12:29PM

Actually you don't need a gradual reduction in guide size. The distance between the guides provides the gradual reduction.

Date: June 23, 2020 01:15PM

Thanks. I bought the 10 weight guide set from mudhole and it came with a 20,12,8 and 7 fly guides.....Open for any suggestions as this is my first fly rod..

Date: June 23, 2020 02:42PM

It'll work.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 23, 2020 03:17PM

So - lf i understand correctly - you wasted 6" of your 9'0" blank with a FB?? Or is it a longer blank??
Or - did you add a 6" extension to the blank??
Herb

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 23, 2020 04:05PM

WOW I missed that ! If you used 6" of the butt section for the fighting butt, it WILL change the guide the spacing and number of guides.

Date: June 23, 2020 05:42PM

I actually used up 4" of the blank on the fighting butt.......

Date: June 23, 2020 06:10PM

Scott,
Is it a 9'0" blank?
Hreb

Date: June 23, 2020 06:56PM

Yes a 9 foot 10 weight..

Date: June 23, 2020 07:15PM

Scott
Iwoud email you - but your email is hidden.
You don't need a 6" FB to clear your belly while reeling.
So - I assume that you installed a 6" FB because you will use it as a 2 hand rod.
It is common wisdom that using a rod shorter than 12'0" as a 2 handed rod is not as efficient as a one-handed rod with a double haul.
The 6' FB will pose difficulties if you do intend to one-hand it.
Herb

Date: June 23, 2020 07:42PM

Herb I actually installed a 4" butt to utilize a figure 8 at the boat side for Muskie. It helps to really work the flies at the end of the retrieve. I guess I should have asked here first before I tried it. Do you think the guide spacing would be geared more towards an 8'6" rod or 9'.???

Date: June 23, 2020 08:10PM

You will still want the stripping guide 32 inches past the rear of the reel seat. The total number of guides can now likely be reduced by one.

Be advised that by moving the point of effort (your fighting hand) further up the blank, you are effectively going to be placing the greatest load ahead of the portion of the blank that was designed to handle the maximum amount of load which that blank is able to withstand. Four inches isn't a big deal, but it will make a difference.

Date: June 23, 2020 10:26PM

Tom is correct.
Many rods are broken by exerting pressure above the grip when fighting a fish.
Also - during a figure 8 - the fish will be very green. muskies don't run - but they will thrash around a lot during hook-up at the fig. 8 -
Herb

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: June 28, 2020 04:06PM

A fly rod "fighting butt" is not for leverage (like spin-rods) but for comfort. Fight one big fish on a fly rod with a stout leader and no fighting butt and you will see why. When I tried the "Figure 8" strategy with a conventional rod/reel on a boat side muskie I pushed the rod tip a foot to two below the surface and the plug stayed at that depth. Do you use heavily weighted flies for muskies?

Date: June 29, 2020 01:36PM

Most of my flies are unweighted and I typically use a 300-400 grain line. I have tied up some tube flies on weighted tubes but have not fished them yet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster