I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Different Epoxies
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 22, 2020 06:02PM

I am trying to find the best of the best epoxy has anybody ever used the HITENA Rod Finish Epoxy Resin and how well did it work out for you.

Glenn McMurrian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Different Epoxies
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 22, 2020 07:30PM

They're all the best. Just different in various handling qualities. Each provides the same final product. You just have to find the one that suits you the best.

There are no bad epoxies... just bad epoxiers....

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: June 22, 2020 07:45PM

Glenn, give a shout out to Anthony Unger, I know he uses Hitena.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: June 22, 2020 08:06PM

I also use Hitena and like it a lot, I find it has similar characteristics to ThreadMaster regular another very nice epoxy finish. As Tom mentioned all of the various epoxy finishes do a great job, you just have to find one that best fits your style.
Norm

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: June 22, 2020 09:54PM

Did i hear my name? Oh! Hi guys, didnt see you there.. Lol

As stated above, all epoxies are good with thier own traits, i love hitena.. Prokote didnt work out to well for me, granted it was what i used when i first started..

Hitena boasts that thier epoxy and level out a accidental fingerprint or whatever up to 2 hours after application. Ive had thread from one rod (i was doing an inlay) come over the top and wrap up in a guide coated with hitena about an hour 45.. It started unwrapping the one one i was puting the inlay on, so it was completely wrapped around and binding.. Looked like @#$%&, just horrible.. Thought, oh well, just going to have to sand it tommorrow.. And left the horrid battlefield to venture off to sleep..
To my amazement, it was as if it never happen.. No lie.. I thought maybe i dreamed it, but saw the splatter of epoxy soaked thread laid there on my table.. Casualty ofbwar i suppose...

Ive never had any other epoxy preform to allow you to "play" with it a little, its extremely forgiving, and in my opinion.. The best ive used..

Threadmaster to me is to thick, sets to fast.. Although it does have good qualities..

Only thing with hitena is when it starts to thicken, mix another batch, it levels amazingly but once it decides its time.. Its time to stop applying.
How that helps.

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 23, 2020 12:02AM

Thanks Anthony that tell me a lot and it tells me why I need to try it out.

Glenn McMurrian

Date: June 23, 2020 12:06AM

Glad to be of assistance, ive got to order more myself.. Gabrial will take care of ya

Posted by: Keith Langford (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 23, 2020 11:25AM

Norman, do you use one coat with the Hitena and which Threadmaster, High or lite. i am currently using the Flexcoat light. Thank you.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: June 23, 2020 12:03PM

Flexcoat lite is a good finish, it is a thinner finish and normally requires a second coat. It has a fairly long work time and takes a little longer to cure. ThreadMaster high build is more viscous, has a shorter working time, cures quicker than than most and can get good coverage with one coat. However, I will do a second coat if I don’t get the coverage I like. Hitena is a little thinner than ThreadMaster but not as thin as Flexcoat lite, and gives good coverage with one coat, and a thin second coat is used to cover any flaws. It also has a good working time and cures in a relatively short time. They all level well and release bubbles quite well. All of them work well, just slightly different. After mixing I flash flame the mix with my Burnzomatic butane torch, zip zip, to release bubbles. I apply, not brush, the finish quickly while the rod is turning, trying not to use to much, which will result in footballs. After applying, I stop rotation, look for missed spots and touch up. If the finish sags while being stopped I will remove the excess. I like to cure at low RPMs. After curing I inspect the finish and if needed will touch up with a fresh thin coat of finish. Don’t make applying finish an ordeal, just let the epoxy do its thing. If you need a second coat so be it.
Norm

Date: June 23, 2020 08:07PM

I use Threadmaster light and D-2. A light touch with a heat gun helps them flow nicely and gets rid of any bubbles. The guys above won't steer you wrong.

Date: June 23, 2020 08:58PM

I have to say norm and lynn are my go to guys, more like family honestly..

And lynns right, the above will not lead you wrong. Period.

Another thing about hitena, probably the only thing i dont like to be honest, is you can only get it in 4oz. Kits.. It would be nice to pick up a larger set of bottles since i,go through it fairly quick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2020 09:14PM by Anthony Unger.

Date: June 23, 2020 09:12PM

Write much? lol

Date: June 23, 2020 09:15PM

Ive been getting headaches alot lately.. Like near to full blown migraines. Sorry for poor grammer and such

Date: June 24, 2020 08:50PM

Didn't expect a reply for bustin' you. Hang in there, glad I don't suffer from those S.O.B.s

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: June 26, 2020 12:03AM

I just used U40 LS Supreme for the first time and give it a full thumbs up.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 27, 2020 09:07PM

Hitena has worked well for me. Levels well. I use two thin coats, usually. Feels dry overnight. Some don't. Their Pureline is the best braid I've ever used, too. I use their premium fly tippets for leaders for braid on cast and spin outfits, and that works very well.. too.

Date: June 27, 2020 09:10PM

You should try the airbraid silky.. Incredible braid.. Pricey, but worth every penny

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster