I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing Thread Finish?
Posted by: Scott Degen (---.lcrs.qwest.net)
Date: June 19, 2020 09:12PM

Hello,

Built a rod in a hurry and gave it to my dad thinking that the thread finish was still tacky, but it turns out it never cured properly and the guides are all falling off. First rod in years, I'm sure I mixed the epoxy wrong or something. So I'm going to just redo the guides. Problem is some of it cured, some didn't, so there's some good gunk spots stuck to the rod yet.

Is there a trick to stripping off this thread finish? Would mineral spirits be too harsh on the blank? It's a St Croix SCV (old stock) blank, if it matters.

I used ProKote medium build finish here. First time using it so I guess I could have got a bad batch, but I'm thinking operator error is much more likely.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing Thread Finish?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 19, 2020 09:52PM

Mineral spirits will not work, won't touch epoxy! You will have to scrape off most of it, and use either DNA or Acetone to remove the uncured. Test the acetone somewhere on the rod to see is it damages the rod finish. Terrible when you make mistakes measuring or mixing epoxy, but always a good lesson!

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: June 19, 2020 09:57PM

Go back a few years and start reading past posts. All your questions will be answered, very likely many times.

Date: June 19, 2020 11:58PM

Thanks for the help Phil. Definitely a good opportunity for a fool's lesson since it's just a gift, not a project with expectations. Not sure what I did wrong but I'll definitely be paying closer attention with round 2. I've done lots of rods with my old epoxy and no issues and I'm 0/1 with prokote... But like I said I'm rusty and 95% sure it's my fault.

Thanks!

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 20, 2020 12:25AM

Scott,
Literally anything that you use to remove the epoxy in the form of solvents, will also remove the finish from the rod.

You would be better off to try to scrape it off with an old credit card or a plastic scraper. With these, there is an outside chance that you can remove the finish debris.

However, you may just have to bite the bullet and remove the finish debris and take the finish off the rod as well. If so, just extend your thread wraps to cover any area of the blank where the finish has been removed.

Generally never easy nor pretty.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.242.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 20, 2020 12:31AM

Put a bit of tape just past the uncured epoxy and scrape as much as you can with something soft like a credit card. The tape will prevent the surrounding area from being damaged or at least reduce the chances. Then, when you wrap the guides again, just make the wrap a bit longer to cover any scrape damage. A mild bit of heat will help as well.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 20, 2020 04:02PM

Don't do any scrapping, just put another correctly mixed coat over it. It WILL be fine.
SORRY I DIDN'T READ THE FULL POST. IT's time for the heat gun and the utility knife. Sparingly warm the thread wraps and then cut along the feet to remove the guides. You should be able to unravel the remaining thread.Use a Scotchbrite pad to smooth things out and then rewrap.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2020 04:12PM by Dennis Danku.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 20, 2020 06:48PM

If your wraps are a mess by all means R & R the wraps , just get it over ,but if still in good shape try a new mix an just go over it , every thing should work out for you , either way ,

William Sidney
AK

Date: June 21, 2020 09:59AM

Thanks everyone, helps a ton.

Posted by: Johnny Apel (---)
Date: June 29, 2020 10:05PM

Stupid question, but how are the guides falling off with just bad epoxy? Did the thread wraps fail, or some force exerted on the guides before you knew the epoxy was bad?

Sorry man, I know that can be a mess.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 30, 2020 10:38AM

Hello Johnny.

If the epoxy does not harden and stays wet the thread will swell and loosen up, then the only thing holding the guides is wet epoxy.

Hope that helped.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Johnny Apel (---)
Date: June 30, 2020 05:02PM

Robert A. Guist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello Johnny.
>
> If the epoxy does not harden and stays wet the
> thread will swell and loosen up, then the only
> thing holding the guides is wet epoxy.
>
> Hope that helped.
>
>
> Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Hi Bob,

It does help thank you. My perplexity was from the guides coming loose from the wrapping because of the epoxy. I wouldn’t expect such an action from the threading, and glad I asked. Learn something new every day!

Thanks!
Johnny

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster