I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need help building a pair of Halibut rods
Posted by: Jason Bjerke (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 17, 2020 10:42PM

I have built a number of freshwater rods and ice rods, but this is my first venture into salt water rods (I live in WI). My brother-in-law has asked me to build him a pair of Halibut rods. He lives outside of Anchorage and owns his own boat. I planned on going with Rainshadow blanks, possibly one built on an RX6/E-glass and not sure on the other. Thought about going with the RCKJB606-325 and either the TS66MH.

Here's his specs:

6'-6'6" length
80 lb braid
1-3 lb weight

I don't know about guides, reel seats, handles, and butts. Please help!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2020 01:05AM by Jason Bjerke.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need help building a pair of Halibut rods
Posted by: Grant Darby (172.92.68.---)
Date: June 18, 2020 01:02AM

If you are considering the Rainshadow blanks, check the Batson Enterprises web site for complete build recipes. And a phone call to them should answer all your questions.

Posted by: Brian Folz (---)
Date: June 18, 2020 10:17AM

Agree, call Batson, they are quick with a good recommendation, they've been very reliable for me.

I would say don't skip any steps when gluing up the reel seat, it'll see some stress, and you might consider a spiral setup if he's into that.

I beat the @#$%& out of my halibut rods, so I just buy the $60 cheapies myself, but that's just me,

fb

Posted by: Jason Bjerke (---)
Date: June 18, 2020 10:32AM

I tried talking him into spiral (after doing some research) and he still wanted to go with conventional.

Can you get away with graphite reel seats or do they need to be aluminum? Doesn’t really seem to be much of a price difference between the two, so that’s not a factor.

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 18, 2020 10:42AM

Those would be the two Rainshadow models we'd pick out for you and what many run with in the PNW. And as Grant mentioned there are blueprints available at our www.rainshadowrodblanks.com website (just go to the model you want and click on the blueprints tab).

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Date: June 18, 2020 10:50AM

Awesome! I’ll go ahead and look at the blueprints and get my supplies ordered!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 18, 2020 05:57PM

I'm a fan of the TS66MH, the rod will handle 'buttons in excess of 100 lbs. and now days bigger than that are pretty rare. I use a graphite reel seat and a slick butt, they slide out of holders so much better, very durable and are easy on the pocketbook.

Date: June 19, 2020 10:53AM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm a fan of the TS66MH, the rod will handle
> 'buttons in excess of 100 lbs. and now days bigger
> than that are pretty rare. I use a graphite reel
> seat and a slick butt, they slide out of holders
> so much better, very durable and are easy on the
> pocketbook.

What graphite reel seat are you using? I see Batson/Rainshadow shows aluminum seats for their rod recipes, but I'd like to do my best to keep the weight down as much as possible because he's wanting to do more jigging with these versus trolling.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 19, 2020 07:57PM

AGB22 if I remember right.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster