I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Thread recommendations
Posted by: Curt Parkins (---.dr01.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 17, 2020 04:26PM

I just completed my first fly rod build and I’d be the first to admit that it came out pretty good. But, I did have an issue with the thread. I used PacBay in evergreen and old gold and even though I used a Bic lighter, I had a lot of fuzzies showing in the first the first coat of finish. I used a razor blade to clean up the offending wraps. It finished up ok after the third coat but not without a lot of nervous moments on my part.

Is there a goto thread that most of you are using and would be willing to recommend. I’ve already got another blank ordered and others on my list.

Thanks

Curt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2020 05:07PM by Curt Parkins.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread recommendations
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 17, 2020 04:32PM

Curt,
I hate "fuzzies" with a passion.
I've been using Makoi for that reason.
What wt fly rods do you use.
I use "00" thread on all my fly rod runners to keep the profile down. Much more attractive.
Herb
CTS

Date: June 17, 2020 05:07PM

The rod I just finished up is a 6’-6” 2wt XI from Hook and Hackle. I have a 7’-6” 4wt glass rod from Moonlit Fly Fishing being delivered on Saturday. But to answer your question, I mostly use 3 and 4wt rods. I like to trout fish in the local stream and have become pretty hard on the local panfish population.

Curt

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: June 17, 2020 05:41PM

Did you use a pre-treated thread or a thread where you applied color preserver? I have concluded that I prefer non-treated thread, as it seems to me to lay, cut and burnish easier and more cleanly than the pre-treated threads. I used treated thread on a rod I just completed and had far more fuzzies than my previous rods. I do not make enough rods to be a good wrapper.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 17, 2020 06:35PM

Check your thread tension hardware on whatever rod wrapper you're using - if it's rough or has some sort of wear issue it can be the cause of thread fuzzing.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 17, 2020 06:38PM

The PacBay thread has no more fuzzies normally then any of the other brands.

Date: June 17, 2020 07:11PM

I was using untreated thread. I had considered using color preserver but decided against it.

As far as the rod wrapper, it is a brand new unit from Flex Coat. I closely examined the thread path of both spools and found no issues (I did a visual check and also used a cotton swab to look for rough spots or burrs).

I am convinced the issue is with the thread because not all of the wraps had an issue. I would think if it is equipment related, all of the wraps would be bad.

Thread tension is set so that the wraps are tight enough to hold the guides in place but loose enough to allow the thread loop to pass and pull the tag end through to complete the wrap.

Date: June 17, 2020 07:12PM

I was using untreated thread. I had considered using color preserver but decided against it.

As far as the rod wrapper, it is a brand new unit from Flex Coat. I closely examined the thread path of both spools and found no issues (I did a visual check and also used a cotton swab to look for rough spots or burrs).

I am convinced the issue is with the thread because not all of the wraps had an issue. I would think if it is equipment related, all of the wraps would be bad.

Thread tension is set so that the wraps are tight enough to hold the guides in place but loose enough to allow the thread loop to pass and pull the tag end through to complete the wrap.

Date: June 17, 2020 07:13PM

Sorry for the double post.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (135.26.190.---)
Date: June 17, 2020 07:40PM

I’ve found Pac Bay thread to be the fuzziest. Fuji the least of all I’ve tried so far.

Date: June 17, 2020 10:09PM

Thanks Gary.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 17, 2020 10:32PM

Like Herb, I've enjoyed using Makoi thread, only thing I know of only one sponsor who carries it. Bingham Ent.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: June 17, 2020 11:00PM

Make sure you are using a good razor blade for your cuts, and that when cutting you are not sweepng the blade over several wraps of thread, which I have done from time to time.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 18, 2020 01:37PM

Curt,
I have a simple philosophy with respect to rod wrapping thread.

If I have a spool of thread that shows signs of fuzzies, after the first application of finish on the first guide on the rod using this particular spool of thread - I STOP.

I then, go and check one more guide on down the rod and if that guide shows any signs of fuzzies, I stop completely.

Then, I take that particular spool of thread and throw it with great vigor into the garbage. Then, I take a razor blade and cut all of the guides off of the rod.

I either pick up another spool of thread from inventory or purchase another spool/s of thread from a suitable vendor and rewrap. But, with a new spool of thread or a different brand, I will just wrap one guide and do a test application of finish to check for fuzzzies.

I have gone through many many spools of threads over the years. They have been Gudebrod, Fish Hawk, Pac Bay and Pro cote. In all of the spools of thread used; I have only encountered two spools of thread which gave me issues. They were a particular color of royal blue. Easy to remember, since I have had so few issues with thread.

I use a standard tension disk thread tension system for wrapping. I do NOT ever run metallic thread through a tension disk tension system, because the disks tend to destroy the metallic thread.

But, I have never used and will never use a metallic thread for a main wrap on a rod build. If a client requests a metallic wrap for a main wrap, I politely refuse the build. The use of this thread for main wraps is just not in my wheel house.

Of course I use metallic thread for trim wraps, but I always tension these by hand, using 2-3 foot lengths of thread.

Be safe

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: June 18, 2020 04:42PM

I have used most brands of thread, including PacBay, and have not had a fuzzing problems with any of them. They are all very good but different brands have different shades of color and I buy and use them because of this. The four brands I use the most often are Prowrap, Fuji, Hitena, and Gudebrod, but my supplying of Gudebrod dwindling. I also like the fact that both Prowrap and Hitena sell a size B thread, which increases wrapping options.
Norm

Date: June 18, 2020 06:55PM

Thanks everyone. Just got my blank from Moonlit today and I ordered some Fuji thread to complete it.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: June 18, 2020 08:01PM

If you can push through the learning curve, which is not so bad or long, use silk on those fly rods 6 weight and under. 100 weight or 000 silk is plenty strong, it's the traditional thread for fly rods, and once you getr the hang of it you'll probably not go back to nylon or poly.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 19, 2020 06:39PM

Curt, did you brush on the finish or drip on the finish?!?

Date: June 19, 2020 11:23PM

I dripped. When I put the finish on, I tried to roll the drip around without the brush actually touching the wrap. Actually easier than it sounds.

Date: June 19, 2020 11:24PM

Is there a recommendation on silk?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster