I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Upgrading Old Blanks
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 24, 2020 08:28PM

Phil, i have been working for better than a year to develope a rod with it,s main purpose to make a B&A cast with ease..so far i have found the rod material, the rod length,and the rod power that gives 30 to 40' casts..believe me rods can store and unload a good deal of power on their own without a casting motion..

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: June 27, 2020 06:30PM

For god's sake. A breaking fishing line recoiling back towards you can severely lacerate you, but a flexed fishing rod being immediately released won't hurt you if it wacks you in the face.

Stretched fishing line stores more energy than a flexed rod blank ......... whoda thunk it......

Oh and I have rebuilt several old rods and greatly enhanced their performance. When you take guides that weighed 11 grams off a rod and replace them with guides that weigh 2.5 grams, there is a huge performance gain in both casting and sensitivity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2020 06:33PM by David Baylor.

Date: June 27, 2020 07:36PM

thanks for the warning i didn,t know 10# power pro stretched that much especially against a 50" rod tip cut from a 61/2' light power glass rod..

Date: June 27, 2020 09:29PM

ben belote Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thanks for the warning i didn,t know 10# power pro
> stretched that much especially against a 50" rod
> tip cut from a 61/2' light power glass rod..

build one..it,s a fun way to fish..only $30 in materials..great for farm ponds..

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 27, 2020 09:50PM

Now come on ben, you know braid doesn't stretch so it's not going to come flying back at you if it breaks. It's also not going to have your bait flying back at you if it comes free from being hung up. But nylon mono filament line and to a lesser extent, fluorocarbon mono filament line sure will.

But I'm sure you know that wasn't my point.

Date: June 28, 2020 10:58AM

I think braid is best for B&A rods because when you load the rod all the energy goes into the rod, none into the line but the line is so short that i doubt there is any difference in any line used and even if the line stretched alot, it would help launch the lure when released..but like already said, braided line is the safest because it does not stretch enough to cause injury when it breaks under a load which is another good reason to use braid when fishing..period.

Date: June 29, 2020 02:04PM

in case anyone is interested this little rod has an IP of 130 grams, not much to it but it will coil and uncoil..

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster