I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thoughts on Phenix Blanks
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: June 17, 2020 05:05AM

Any input on these blanks specifically their ultralight offerings in the elixir series. Have some interesting offerings. Cannot find much good or bad about their blanks or them as a company. Just stumbled across them looking for something else. Honestly never heard of them before.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thoughts on Phenix Blanks
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 17, 2020 10:26AM

Hello Michael.

Good blanks, I have 4 or 5 of them, and even built one for my father.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Bill Lewis (181.179.20.---)
Date: June 17, 2020 10:28AM

I don't know about their freshwater blanks but I have been using their saltwater blanks for several years. I think that they are simply an outstanding product. With the problems with air travel. I have been building a lot of the 'Red Eye' travel blanks. Not only are they great but the 7' blanks will fit in a rolling duffle. Up

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 18, 2020 03:14PM

A few years back I was building on them quite a bit, especially the M1 blanks. I also have built on the K2s and the Bass Recon 2s. The only problems I have had was with the M1 blanks that I had built for some tournament fishermen and a few other people. Most of the M1 blanks broke, some I would say because of abuse but a couple not so much. I have no issues at all with the K2s or the Bass Recons just the M1s so it may be an issue with just that model. They seem to be well made but they are not made in the US. I use the K2 light xfast as a light spinning rod (2500 Shimano reel) and it has seen some pretty good battles with saltwater species including jacks and it has held up well. Very light and crisp rod, really enjoy it. I mostly make bait casters but will use spinning rods for different conditions and baits.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 18, 2020 04:56PM

I have used several their elixir series of ultralight blanks and they make into very nice UL rods.
Norm

Date: June 19, 2020 04:37AM

I have read some of the breakage is attributed to blanks being very thin walled. What's your opinions on the wall thickness compared to similar powered blanks.

Norman what are some of the models you have used? Biggest concern is the action. A lot of UL blanks tend to run slower than the action rating. Ideally I am looking for a true mod fast in the 7 to 7.5 foot range. Typically I would be looking for a fast action as it is almost guaranteed a fast UL will be on the very bottom of the fast rating in my experience.

I am a hardcore UL fisherman. Between built rods and bought rods I have fished probable around fifty different models. My opinions are backed up by a lot of experience. Probable why I am doing so much research and being rather picky about the blank or my latest build.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: June 19, 2020 11:24AM

I have used both the Elixir 7’ and 7’6” UL and they both made into very nice rods. The reason for getting them is it is difficult to find ULs in longer lengths. They both had a nice crisp feel and casted light lures very well. They did not have a sloppy feel about them, which I dislike. I had no complaints with them. However, I keep going back to the MHX 7’ UL as my standard, I like them very much and are a great buy, and the warranty is fantastic. I am probably not as discriminating as you are when it comes to UL rods. I have also tried the iron feather, very nice but with a faster tip. What I didn’t like about it was the tip was so fine it was difficult to find a tip top to fit, and also the very high price. I have not tried the Suzuki UL blanks but supposedly they are quite nice, but also on the expensive side.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 19, 2020 11:21PM

Send a message to Mo Yang, he has been interested in ultralghts on this site for over a decade I think. Put is name in the search function, all dates, than select his name on any posts that come up.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 20, 2020 01:28AM

Send a message to Mo Yang, he has been interested in ultralghts on this site for over a decade I think. Put is name in the search function, all dates, than select his name on any posts that come up.

Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: June 24, 2020 02:06PM

I love Phenix UL blanks I have 3 elixer and an 8' iron feather that is my favorite. The Iron feather is expensive but the action is very fast and the rod is not wishy washy. I am hoping that they will offer the dragonfly series as a blank soon. I would love to try the 9 foot version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2020 02:13PM by Paul Luechtefeld.

Date: June 26, 2020 04:54AM

Thanks for the input. There are a couple models on my think about list. For those that have built on these blanks how to true to listed action would you say they are? Seems most UL blanks run way softer than specs. Or they match the action but run heavy on the power side.

Date: June 26, 2020 04:57AM

Paul: They do list the dragonfly series as blanks on their website. But they say the 9 footer cannot be shipped.

Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: June 29, 2020 09:32AM

Damn, I guess I will have to visit commyfornia and pick one up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster