I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: rod guide placement
Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: June 16, 2020 12:05PM

I am glad you guys are on top of all this, I'm too busy fishing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: June 16, 2020 12:34PM

Whether I tie #100 test mono from the tip of a hotshot blank directly to a tree root or run a line from a locked-up reel, through the guides to a tree root and pull straight up until the bod breaks, I would bet the curve of the blanks will be identical just before they break. I would also wager 99% of rods broken in use were victims of high-sticking (or previous physical damage). I would like to compare videos of two of the same blanks, secured horizontally being pulled down by a weight until they break: one with a line passing through the tip-top only, the other with the line passing through tip-top and whole guide train before being secured. Every experienced angler I know has a "safety fuse" between the reel and the end of the line - a section where the leader will break before the rod does.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2020 12:44PM by Phil Ewanicki.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 16, 2020 12:49PM

If the guides are sufficient in number and properly spaced, two rods, one with the line simply attached to the tip, will both break from overload in the same place, in the lower 3rd of the rod a few inches forward of the handle.

If the guides are not sufficient in number or not properly spaced, the rods will break in different places and the one without any guides will withstand more load before breaking.

We don't have to guess at this stuff - we know.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 17, 2020 01:19PM

If they both break in the same place, one employing a line through a complete guide train, the other just the tip top, I conclude they assumed the same bend, which is what I observed.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 17, 2020 04:06PM

If the complete guide train contains enough guides and they are properly placed, yes. That's the point of using enough guides and placing them properly - so that the blank can take its natural flex under load and maintain it's maximum deadlift capability.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster