I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decorative wraps
Posted by: Mike Laver (---.home4.cgocable.net)
Date: June 14, 2020 09:14AM

Looking at some recent posts of decorative wraps and wondering to myself just how long did the poster spend doing these works of art. I know I'll never get to this level due to my lack of patience and skill.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decorative wraps
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 14, 2020 09:21AM

Depends on the wrap and the ability of the person doing it. Some of the more simple wraps can be done in under an hour. Some take much time many times over.

Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---)
Date: June 14, 2020 10:08AM

Mike, I felt the same way. Great You Tube beginner vids. I practiced using a small diameter PVC and yarn. Then I found a used book "Custom Rod Thread Art" by Dale Clemens. Now my only excuse for not being better is my laziness in studying it. haha Good luck. I've found thread work and weaving brings out the excitement of rod building. And everyone I do I improve a little bit.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---)
Date: June 14, 2020 12:03PM

Mike; You might give it a try and if you enjoy what you are doing you will find it may take some time but not "patience". I'm not what I would call a patient person, but I find weaving relaxing and gratifying, so from my perspective no patience required. Billy Vivona's book is the best on cross wraps and you might try mine on weaving.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.26.18.98.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 15, 2020 07:17AM

Jump in, make mistakes and learn. Lot's of videos on the web. Lot's of advice here.

Posted by: Michael Tuma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 15, 2020 01:28PM

I enjoy doing decorative wraps. It does take some time but the rod looks like a piece of art work when I am done. I will spend less time on the wrap than the amount of time I will use the rod the first week on the water. So for me it is worth it.

Posted by: Mike Laver (---.home4.cgocable.net)
Date: June 17, 2020 07:46AM

Thanks for the replies, I'll have to work on your suggestions.

Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: June 21, 2020 01:45PM

I echo most of the comments here. I started with the Clements book over 20 years ago and I still use it today. For me a simple cross wrap adds a real "zing" to the rod especially if everything is color coordinated. I just got in to weaving a few years ago and the process is not too difficult. For me I can't weave for more than an hour or so and have to stop. I enjoy the process, but have had problems skipping rows or dropping a thread along the line. More that once I have had to start all over again, but I firmly believe I learn more from mistakes than I do from successes. Just my two cents. Go for it, what have you got to lose other than time and right now most of us have plenty of that. I think you will be impressed with what you can do.

Posted by: Robert Nypaver (---.mnfd.qwest.net)
Date: June 23, 2020 08:10AM

I also bought the Dale Clemments book. Very useful in understanding the principles of design spacing, lay-out, etc.. I started with simple cross-wraps/chevrons and progressed to some more complicated patterns. It takes me about twice as much time to do a nice decorative wrap as it does to build the rest of the rod - but it is worth it. I view my rods as works of art and have received many compliments to the same effect. I did have to go to a magnifying light to keep my wraps lying properly because of my aging eyes. One tip, don't use too much thread tension so you can still move the thread a bit. Try it - you'll like it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster