I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What is a good grip overcoat epoxy to use
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---)
Date: June 14, 2020 03:09AM

Would Pro-Kote Standard build be a good choice for a long lasting durable epoxy overcoat for grips or would some other be better.

Glenn McMurrian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is a good grip overcoat epoxy to use
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 14, 2020 09:35AM

Epoxy does not make the best top coating for grips. Some type of Urethane would be better choice. PermaGloss immediately comes to mind.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 14, 2020 09:40AM

Glenn,
What are the grips made from?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: June 14, 2020 09:41AM

I agree with Tom, I prefer Permagloss as a top coat. Extremely easy to apply and is very durable.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 14, 2020 01:28PM

Overcoating what surface?

Date: June 14, 2020 01:36PM

It would be Fiber Carbon grips

Glenn McMurrian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2020 01:37PM by Glenn McMurrian.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 14, 2020 02:40PM

Some use wrap epoxy, I find it too soft and it will scuff. I use a 2 part epoxy from West System.

Date: June 14, 2020 04:55PM

I asked a guy on youtube what hat he used and he said that he used ProKote but I do think that it would be too soft and scuff and dent and scratch I know that the old flex coat did.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 14, 2020 06:03PM

PermaGloss is outstanding on carbon skinned grips. Hard as nails, will never yellow, very difficult to scratch and yet thin and light.

Here is an easy way to do it: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: June 14, 2020 07:44PM

For an overcoat my choice is Permagloss U-40. After the u-40 is fully set I follow it up with a coat of premium wax.

The wax is not necessary but I use the wax because it tends to fill in voids and fine scratches and tries to form an even surface which makes it shinier. The wax makes the surface “slippery” and somewhat resistant to minor scuffs and rubs, also the wax makes it easier to clean the rod of fish slime, dirt or other contaminants.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: June 14, 2020 08:27PM

This thread makes my top 10 list.

Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: June 15, 2020 03:10AM

I did it on a couple of cork grips and I used Thread Master lite . It seems to be holding up fine so far . I thought it would be slippery but that hasn't been the case .

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 15, 2020 08:35AM

With respect to cork grips:

Normally, cork grips really don't take a finish very well. The reason is that cork is a closed cell material that essentially does not absorb anything.

You can apply a finish as you have done with the Thread master lite, and it will look fine. But, eventually, it will essentially all peel away simply because there is little to nothing for the finish to adhere.

But, as long as it looks nice and does not get too heavy use, it will look great until it doesn't.

But, other materials like wood and other similar materials that have a porous or a semi porous structure will take, absorb and will give a very long wearing finish indeed.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Angelo Biviano (---)
Date: June 15, 2020 10:54AM

Does anyone know what Scott rods uses on the first burl cork ring on some of its handles? I think the G series uses this. It looks like a continuation of the rod finish, but I can't tell if it's urethane or rod finish. It seems to yellow the burl cork ring just a bit. Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster