I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to Cut Carbon Fiber Handle
Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.179.---)
Date: June 12, 2020 10:01AM

I am looking for the best way to cut a home-made carbon fiber handle to get the cleanest, straightest edge to match up to a butt cap or other fitting. This carbon fiber handle will not go inside the adjacent fitting but instead will just butt right up to it. So the cut edge will be exposed and needs to be perfectly straight around the circumference. I am making the handles on my lathe. I am thinking that after the epoxy has cured and I have buffed the carbon fiber I will just use a sharp razor blade held very carefully as the handle spins and slowly apply the blade. Are there better ways? Do I cut it before or after applying the Perma Gloss? I want to make sure the carbon fiber edge does not start to unravel over time.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to Cut Carbon Fiber Handle
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 12, 2020 12:00PM

No, best not to try to cut it with a razor blade. Simply use a sharp parting tool or vertical scraper to cut the part square.

Date: June 12, 2020 12:51PM

Thank you. I will make an extra length to practice a few cuts on. Do you recommend I cut it before or after I apply the Perma Gloss?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 12, 2020 02:28PM

If I was doing it, I would do it after the Perma Gloss.

In contrast to Mr. Kirkmans comment, I would use my 6 inch long razor knife.

But, either will work.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 12, 2020 03:13PM

I'd but it first.

There was a similar post on this forum just a couple or three weeks ago with someone asking the same question. The parting tool/scraper was the ticket. It's made for this type thing. The carbon is too hard for most knives to do more than make a mess of things. But if you have an extra length available you can certainly test and find which method works best for you.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 12, 2020 04:45PM

As Tom states, a knife is not best on the carbon fiber, two reasons. 1.) Carbon is hard! 2.) A knife can wander while cutting.

Apply your finish so that the fibers are encapsulated and will not fray, then use a sharp parting tool at high speed.

Date: June 13, 2020 01:45AM

Phil,
Copy that.

Of course any parting that I would be doing on such a grip would be with the grip spinning at 3600 rpm and then use the tool that would work best for the particular need.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.nctv.com)
Date: June 13, 2020 10:22AM

I do this all the time and the tool I use is called a micro parting tool. I got it at Penn St. Industries. It is a little over a 1/16” in width and when sharp does a great job. I cut the handle after my two coats of epoxy but before I sand down and apply the finish. After you cut it you will get a few small fibers around the cut and you can use a razor knife to trim those off. I then take a black sharpie around the cut edge as you will sometimes get a little discoloration around the edge. Then I sand it down and finish.

Date: June 14, 2020 10:08AM

Dick,
I looked at Penn State, but did not see any micro parting tools.
However, I did find this tool available from several suppliers. Is it the same one?

[www.discountcutlery.net]

The tool certainly looks like it is the perfect tool for the job.

Take care

Date: June 15, 2020 11:26PM

No Roger that’s not it. I forgot that I had to buy a set. When I bought mine it was 3 tool set, now it’s a 5 pc set. $45 on the big "A."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2020 07:51AM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: June 16, 2020 08:46AM

Dick, the micro parting tools I am finding look like small gouges (u-shaped blade). I am also seeing micro skews with a 45 degree angle. That seems more like what would work? Do you have a brand name I can search?

Date: June 16, 2020 09:43AM

No mine is shaped like a regular parting tool just smaller. I found them on both Amazon as a set, and woodturnerscaralog.com as separate units.

Date: June 17, 2020 10:07PM

I have a Robert Sorby parting tool that is 1/16" thick, works great on carbon fiber grips! Google it and you will find multiple sources.

Date: June 18, 2020 01:41PM

Phil,
Are you speaking of this tool?

[www.amazon.com]

Date: June 19, 2020 02:18PM

yes Roger that is the parting tool I use on carbon fiber. Cuts very cleanly!

Date: June 23, 2020 11:21AM

Very similar to what I use.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster