I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spine on a 4 pc blank
Posted by: Bob Dunford (---)
Date: June 11, 2020 07:04PM

Hello, new to the forum, new to rod building. I hope someone can help. I am getting ready to build a 4 pc, 9 ft 6 wt. How important is it to find the spine on the butt section? I am not so worried about the other 3 sections, But I have read that it is just about as easy to break this section as it is to find the spine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spine on a 4 pc blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 11, 2020 07:16PM

I would find the straightest axis on each section and assemble it that way. Spine is not really of any importance, but in the vertical plane you'll want the rod to be as straight as possible.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 11, 2020 07:18PM

Not important at all.
I spine all my blanks.
First of all - is there a logo on the butt? If there is one - it is spined already.
But if not - assemble the butt (S1) and the 2nd section (S2). Spine those as one piece.
next spine the next section (S3) and the tip (S4).
Assemble the whole rod according to your spine marks.
Then spine the assembled blank. If all the spine marks are looking you in the face - you are all set.
If not - the errant spine marks will most likely be on the S3 and S4.
Keeping the blank assembled - wipe off your old marks on S#3 and S4 and re-spine the assembled blank and make new spine marks.
That's as good as you can get.
Herb.

Posted by: Bob Dunford (---)
Date: June 12, 2020 04:24AM

Thanks for your reply.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 13, 2020 03:00PM

I will spine the blank just to see how close it is to the straightest axis. Remember, the guides are going to make the blank bend where it is supposed to. You really have to build it as Tom has described because it will look like a crooked dinosaurs back if you don't. On occasion the straightest axis will match the spine.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 13, 2020 05:12PM

blanks are so well made today that the spine is so weak and really not worth looking for..even low priced E-glass rods don,t have near the spine they used to..it,s a non-issue any more..i make them so they look straight.

Posted by: Mike Juliana (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 14, 2020 01:32PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would find the straightest axis on each section
> and assemble it that way. Spine is not really of
> any importance, but in the vertical plane you'll
> want the rod to be as straight as possible.
>
> ..................
Sorry but I'm spatial challenged so what does building on the straightest axis mean in practice? A curved section is not straight so how do you find the straightest axis? In multiple sections have curves, do you assemble the entire rod and use the various curves to offset each other? Do you line up the natural curves so that they add to each other? And where do you place the guides in relation to the "straightest" axis? How do you find the straightest axis?

Spatially challenged,
Mike J

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 14, 2020 02:14PM

Various ways - line of sight. Or you can install the butt of each section in your lathe chuck with a support just a few inches forward of that and rotate the rod until the opposite end is pointing up. You will always have a curve, but you want it in-line section to section and positioned so that the curve is belly down, tip and butt up. That is your best position for fishing so place the guides accordingly per what type rod you're building.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster