I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Favorite Stripping Guide for Fly Rods?
Posted by: Mike Juliana (165.225.50.---)
Date: June 10, 2020 12:30AM

First off, thanks to everyone on this forum for your willingness to share your knowledge and experience with those of us that are new to rod building. I've completed 3 fly rods over the last month and have 2 more waiting to be built. For all of my builds so far I've been using Snake brand low-profile stripping guides since I've been using snake universal running guides. I know there are a lot of other options (way too many in fact) so...what is your favorite brand and model to use as the stripping guide on a fly rod?

Thanks,
Mike J

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Favorite Stripping Guide for Fly Rods?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 10, 2020 02:22AM

The Pac Bay "N" guides look a lot like a snake guide with a ceramic ring, I also like the looks and foot prep on the Hopkins & Halloway strippers.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 10, 2020 07:24AM

I use a variety of guides for the Stripper. Like Spencer, one of my favorites is the Pay Bay N, I also use the Pac Bay Minima's and Pac Bay XB's, just depends on the "look" I am trying to achieve or customer request. Agates are also popular on a lot of the Fiberglass builds that I do.

I wish Pac Bay would do a Minima in a TiC Frame or Gunsmoke with a matching ring color.

Snake Brand all the way for running guides.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 10, 2020 07:52AM

Any high frame spinning guide works well as a fly rod stripping guide.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: June 10, 2020 09:07AM

Lefty Kreh recommended finishing your fly cast by touching the tip of your stripping hand forefinger to the tip of your thumb, forming an "OK" symbol, with cast fly line passing through the center of the "O" - in effect creating another "guide" and eliminating big loops in your line before they reach your first rod guide. He claimed this allowed you to use a smaller, lighter first guide, perhaps eliminate the first guide altogether, and by doing so reduce the swing weight of you rod. [In addition, the rod can be stored in a considerably thinner rod tube]. It worked for him.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 10, 2020 09:39AM

I thought Lefty was the one touting the use of the tall spin butt guide..he can,t seem to make up his mind..lol.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 10, 2020 09:51AM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lefty Kreh recommended finishing your fly cast by
> touching the tip of your stripping hand forefinger
> to the tip of your thumb, forming an "OK" symbol,
> with cast fly line passing through the center of
> the "O" - in effect creating another "guide" and
> eliminating big loops in your line before they
> reach your first rod guide. He claimed this
> allowed you to use a smaller, lighter first guide,
> perhaps eliminate the first guide altogether, and
> by doing so reduce the swing weight of you rod.
> [In addition, the rod can be stored in a
> considerably thinner rod tube]. It worked for him.

Yes - the "O" formed with your line hand does in fact act as a stripping guide and does tame the line as it goes through the stripper. But is difficult to do with a very energetic haul with a "snap" at the end of the haul.

Mike,
You do not specify weight of the rods or where the rods will be used - Salt or Fresh water. Both matrter.

I have used Snakebrand enough times to f]discover that they stain in saltwater. It happens at the wrap/guide interface. Probable where salt MAY intrude at micro cracks at bast of the guide. Just a guess though. But however it happens - it is annoying to me. So the only guides I use are either those of a Nickel/Titanium alloy (REC) of Titanium (I like Fuji).

If you haven't seen the new REC Cerecoil strippers - you should do so. Same material as all REC guides - Nickel/Titanium alloy.

Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2020 09:58AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: June 10, 2020 10:17AM

No, no, no. Zero through about 5 weight the only option is an agate stripper - period. Anything else is completely unacceptable in polite company. For heavy 6, 7 & 8 weights for use in fresh water use what you will. For the salt the strippers must be Ti - it's not negotiable.

Not that I'm opinionated.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: June 10, 2020 11:07AM

I am unable to find one SPECK of evidence about how or even IF the size of the first guide, its distance from the reel, or its ring material improves or diminishes a fly rod's casting efficiency! There is MUCH more information available about complimentary colors for wrapping threads. Maybe we should divide rod building into two categories: rods for decoration and rods for catching fish. Both are admirable enterprises but have little in common, like a paintbrush used to paint a portrait versus a paintbrush used to paint a house.

Date: June 10, 2020 11:33AM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am unable to find one SPECK of evidence about
> how or even IF the size of the first guide, its
> distance from the reel, or its ring material
> improves or diminishes a fly rod's casting
> efficiency! There is MUCH more information
> available about complimentary colors for wrapping
> threads. Maybe we should divide rod building into
> two categories: rods for decoration and rods for
> catching fish. Both are admirable enterprises but
> have little in common, like a paintbrush used to
> paint a portrait versus a paintbrush used to paint
> a house.

Love it - I would say however, a too small stripping guide on a saltwater rod, where the caster is developing very high line-speed, will inhibit the cast.
I've noticed the iine "bunching-up" on the back end of the stripper. So in most cases I will use a #20 stripper instead of a #16.
Herb

Posted by: Angelo Biviano (---)
Date: June 10, 2020 12:03PM

Mike,

I'm with Spencer and Bill, the Pac Bay "N" guides work and look great. I use them on trout sized fly rods (2-5 wt).

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 10, 2020 12:32PM

If all your casts are less than forty feet long it makes absolutely no difference what size or style of guides you use. Appearance alone, not function, rules the choice of components used for such rods.

Date: June 10, 2020 12:43PM

There are cast less than 40'???? :-))
Herb

Posted by: Mike Juliana (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 11, 2020 11:01PM

Thank for the suggestions. Everything, so far, is for freshwater and are for me and buddies. Definitely for catching fish.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 13, 2020 03:11PM

My preference for stripping guides on lighter fly rods are the Baston LXN line. They are light weight yet hold up well yo some of my customers who treat rods rather hard.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster