I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Euro nymph rod guides
Posted by: Tom Key (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2020 05:37PM

I'm getting ready to wrap a 10' euro nymph blank and need some opinions on guides.

I've seen that top name makers use snake guides or single foot. Mostly it appears to be a weight issue. If weight were not an issue what would you use snake or single foot. I have light wire snakes that I can substitute that are even lighter than the same size single foot guides. I will wrap with 100 silk thread and use a light coat of epoxy to seal the wraps.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Euro nymph rod guides
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 09, 2020 06:23PM

This is not my area of expertise, but I do know that my personal 3 wt. Euro rod performed much better with larger guides than my 3 wt dry fly rod. I could use 2/0 guides effectively on my dry fly rod, but size 1 snakes worked better on the euro rod. The single foot guides themselves aren't lighter, it's the use of only one guide wrap that makes the difference.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 09, 2020 07:31PM

With Euro nymphing rods, weight is an issue due to the fact that most of the time you are extending your arm to keep line or leader off the water. At he end of a day of this style fishing, your arm will be very tired!

Date: June 09, 2020 11:57PM

I was hoping the lite sure snakes with silk wraps and thin epoxy finish would compensate fr the extra foot. Maybe I'll do a test on a short section of old blank cut so the two sections weight the same (grains). I'll wrap both with the same thread, finish both with thin epoxy and reweigh. Do some half assed extrapolation and see what results I get.

How about the function of the snake vs single foot with regards to leader and line knots, and casting a fly line should a hatch come off and I want to fish dries?

Tom

Date: June 10, 2020 02:18AM

A #1 single foot thin wire would be fine with anything IMO.

Posted by: Angelo Biviano (---)
Date: June 10, 2020 11:59AM

I've built a few euro-nymphing rods with single foots, bought another with snakes, and I can't tell any difference/disadvantages regarding weight or passage of line/knots. At least with regard to how it affects "fishing/using" the rod. I think snakes are great, but definitely recommend going with the lite wires, such as snake brand, batson, or pacbay. You don't always have to hold your arm out (see videos on euro-casting online from George Daniels). Just keep your arm comfortable.

[www.youtube.com]

In my experience, a lot of the issues with weight come down to the rod blank. Blanks designed for Euro-nymphing are lighter and have a very soft tip. A 10' 4wt rod blank designed for standard fly fishing comes out a little heavier, so messing with guide weights might help if you're using that kind of blank.

I use all 1/0s (whether single or double foot). Most of the time you'll be working with a long, thin mono leader. 1s would be good too. I fish dries too, and the 1/0s are fine with a 4 wt. line.

Good luck, Euro Nymphing is a lot of fun and can be pretty effective!

Date: June 11, 2020 01:28PM

Thanks to all who responded. Guess it's up to me to decide since there seems to be advantages to both, and the down sides are minimal.

FYI...my black is a "Euro" blank which I had a fishing buddy compare to his Winston Boron IIIX Super 10. His opinion was favorable, so I'm satisfied with my choice of my 10' 4wt 4pc Quickline Czech Nymph blank.

Tom

Date: June 11, 2020 03:08PM

Every Quickline I've had in my hand has been a nice stick to fish with.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster