I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sorry another KR Guide Question
Posted by: Frank Domino (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: June 06, 2020 12:35PM

I'm using a 3000 spinning reel with 20LB braid on a 7' medium light rod. When I use the KR GPS it shows two different reduction size set ups for 20LB braid, one for 10/20LB braid as 16H,8H,5.5M and one for 20/30LB braid as 20H,10H,6L. My question is which would work better with the 7' rod as I will always be using braid with this set up and in the event I ever wanted to try 15LB braid. This is my first attempt with the KR set up so any suggestions on which guide sizes and guide placement would work better then the GPS guide lines would be appreciated. They show guide placement as 20'',8.5'',6.4''6.0''. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sorry another KR Guide Question
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: June 06, 2020 12:46PM

You could use either they will both work. The 20H based reduction train might give you a little more versatility if you ever plan on using a larger reel or heavier braid and/or mono/ fluorocarbon. It will still work well with lighter line and smaller reel. If you plan on using lighter braid and or a smaller reel the 16H based reduction train will work just fine. Basically your choice.
Norm

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: June 06, 2020 01:48PM

Frank

I'm with Norm on this one. Both will work fine. I personally build / fish with a bunch of 6'9" to 7' ML / M spinning rods and the same line types / sizes that you do. I prefer a #20 stripper guide on my guide train layouts. It offers me more flexibility to change out reels with different types / sizes of line on them. When I fish the lakes I use reels with #20 braid / flouro leaders on them, and when I fish the central PA rivers my reels are filled with #10 or #8 mono or copoly. I might also step up to #4000 size spinning reels in certain instances and I think a #16 stripper guide might not be ideal for this.

Rog

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 06, 2020 02:47PM

I always use the 20 for the versatility reason Norm mentions. It will work with almost anything reasonable and the weight differences are imperceptible to me. I don't even test cast any more; it always works just as a KR software specs it.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 07, 2020 11:44AM

X whatever, 20 mm ring on a high frame guide then 10 H, 6 M the rest 5s or 4.5s. For a 3000 size spool the 20 is better to me. If the spool diameter was smaller I would use a 16.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 07, 2020 12:20PM

IMO the line is more important than the spool diameter, but regardless of what I plan to use, I start with the 20 for the versatility. For the difference in weight I just cannot see limiting myself to 15 pound test max or a smaller reel than I might want to use.

Posted by: Frank Domino (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: June 08, 2020 12:35PM

Thanks for your replies, I will be going with the 20H as your comments about it being more versatile then the 16H was something I had not thought about.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster