I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping Micro guides
Posted by: Keith Langford (---)
Date: June 06, 2020 09:40AM

Question, is it recommended to wrap a couple times around the end of a micro guide, saw it on Flex Coat video, thanks.

Keith Langford

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping Micro guides
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: June 06, 2020 11:23AM

After 62 years of rod building I am going to build-out a blank with micro guides. How small does the inside diameter of a micro-guide have to be before it reduces casting distance or accuracy? Does micro-guide performance have anything to do with the diameter or the type of line used? I have been unable to find any clear statements about this issue.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: June 06, 2020 11:42AM

Some people do a locking wrap on micro guides some don’t. I always do a locking wrap as added insurance, but basically your choice.
I use the Fuji speed thread for running line through my micro guides, this tool will thread guides as small as a size 4, so for me a size 4 micro guide is as small as I go. In addition, a size 4 will easily pass an FG leader to braid knot using up to 30 lb fluorocarbon leader.
Here is a link for the Fuji speed threader done by Jim Ising a few years ago when it first came out. Great tool and a must for those using micro guides.
[m.youtube.com]
Norm

Posted by: Brett DeNicola (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 06, 2020 12:09PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some people do a locking wrap on micro guides some
> don’t. I always do a locking wrap as added
> insurance, but basically your choice.
> I use the Fuji speed thread for running line
> through my micro guides, this tool will thread
> guides as small as a size 4, so for me a size 4
> micro guide is as small as I go. In addition, a
> size 4 will easily pass an FG leader to braid knot
> using up to 30 lb fluorocarbon leader.
> Here is a link for the Fuji speed threader done by
> Jim Ising a few years ago when it first came out.
> Great tool and a must for those using micro
> guides.
> [m.youtube.com]
> Norm

Norm I actually was about to start a thread asking about forhan wrap and micro runner (4) I was practicing on an old rod last night and was having trouble getting it right either I started locks too soon and had trouble packing it closed or too far and was kinda close to the ring and finishing it was tough I reduced from 3 locks to 2 and still was real close to the ring using d thread though.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 06, 2020 12:39PM

Brett, i have used D thread on #4 micros with one locking loop..it works well and looks good..

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 06, 2020 01:12PM

Wow, "D" thread is overkill for micros! Size "A" is sufficient, "B" is OK. A locking wrap is just insurance for the possibilities of a guide being pulled out through handling.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 06, 2020 01:42PM

Brett,
When I do a locking wrap on any guide, I start the lock - three wraps before the normal thread will be complete.
But, with a micro wrap, I put in my pull thread shortly after starting my first wrap on the micro.

Then, three thread before completion, I throw my first lock behind the guide foot, go on around the then follow on with the remaining locking wraps and final pull through of the locking thread. I always use three locking wraps in front of the guide foot.

Best wishes.

Date: June 06, 2020 01:45PM

Phil, you are absolutely correct but don,t you ever do some things for "science" and giggles?lol..

Posted by: Brett DeNicola (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 06, 2020 02:08PM

Would have used a or b but don’t have any. New to micro guides and locking wraps and relatively new to building in general.

Date: June 06, 2020 03:09PM

I don,t think there is anything wrong with D thread but you might be sure to seal it with CP because when you apply epoxy it will take alot more epoxy to saturate the thread than if you used A thread..i would seal the thread in any case but many builders do not use CP and don,t mind heavier wraps..also with a sealed wrap you will need only one coat of epoxy maybe applied a little thicker to cover the larger thread..

Posted by: Keith Langford (---)
Date: June 06, 2020 04:11PM

Norman, I actually bought 2 of the speed threaders a couple weeks ago, I will try to find a good video on the forhan wrap.Thank all of you once again.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 06, 2020 05:02PM

If you use heavy thread and lots of epoxy you can compensate for the loss of weight caused by using little-bitty guides and restore balance to your completed rod.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: June 06, 2020 06:49PM

The amount extra of epoxy needed to penetrate D thread is infinitesimal.

Date: June 06, 2020 07:36PM

the amount of CP to saturate D thread is even more infinitesmal..lol.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: June 06, 2020 07:58PM

When I do a locking wrap, I wrap right up to the guide foot. I then do one or two wraps behind the guide foot (blocking wrap), then two or three wraps around the ankle of the foot (locking wrap), and finish with one or two more blocking wraps behind the foot guide. Very easy to do and goes very quickly. Size D thread is the easiest thread to wrap, size A thread takes a little more attention, with size B thread being a nice compromise. The difference in weight between these threads is minuscule with the differences probably in the milligram range, and they are hard to tell apart after finishing. So use what works for you.

Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster