I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
sticky epoxy
Posted by: darrel odland (---)
Date: June 06, 2020 09:30AM

All Having trouble with my epoxy setting up quickly. within 5 minutes of mixing, it's like I'm working with saltwater taffy. I'm am only able to apply to one or two guides before I have to either stop or mix a new batch.
I live in Nor. Ca. so the weather changes everyday. Wednesday over 100, yesterday, 70s
"Bent Rods To Ya"
Darrel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sticky epoxy
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 06, 2020 10:25AM

Sounds like you’re using the epoxy glue instead of the epoxy rod finish. Take a close look at your bottles. What does the label say ?

Date: June 06, 2020 10:28AM

No I'm using the right stuff, been doing this a long time

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 06, 2020 10:54AM

The heat has much to do with it. What took 30 minutes to set at 70F will set in 15 minutes at 90F. Setting up in 5 minutes is really stepping things up but if you have enough heat involved, it's possible. 100+F, yes, that could do it.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: June 06, 2020 11:24AM

The higher the temperature the faster the epoxy cures. I solved this problem many years ago by using a cold pack with a damp towel on top. Place your epoxy mixing container on top of it to keep it cool. Works well.
Norm

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: June 06, 2020 11:46AM

I like the cold pack idea. I put a coat of U40 on a new Eternity 9 ft. fly rod blank yesterday in Colorado. It was a 96 degree day, though cooler in my house. By the time I worked my way to the fourth (rod tip) section of the rod the finish was getting noticeably thicker and a sticky. I had to mix another batch to finish the rod. Any other tips other than the cool pack? I am not a fast rod builder, as I have not made that many rods. In my case yesterday, the U40 seemed to start seting up in about 20 minutes.

Date: June 06, 2020 11:48AM

A near past issue of RodMaker showed how to make an "epoxy cooler" for a couple or three bucks which allows you easily dial in the amount of pot life you want. Given how simple and how extremely effective it is, I'm surprised that more rod builders haven't taken the 10 minutes to make themselves one. Also works in the winter to warm the finish for easier application.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 06, 2020 11:53AM

Darrel,
I've mentioned it on this site for years - but here it is again:
Before you mix the components - make 5-6 3"X3" "trays" from aluminum foil
Mix your usual amount.
Immediately pour nickel size amounts onto the trays.
Immediately put them all, except one, in the freezer section of your refrigerator.

Apply the finish until either the nickel sized epoxy has run out or it has cured too much.
Clean your brush with DNA if it is too stiff.
If it is not stiff - but you want to take a break - put that in the freezer also.
The finish will be good at least for 24 hours that way.

It only takes 20-30 seconds for it to become soft enough to use.
Herb
CTS

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: June 06, 2020 12:41PM

Great tip. Thank you. I will try it when I put my next coat on today or tomorrow. Also, I used to make my epoxy "trays" from alum foil, as you suggest. Then I ordered a few weeks ago some of the foil mixing dishes from Mud Hole. 25 in a box. Highly recommended.

[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 06, 2020 01:59PM

Darrel,
Pick up a few of these refreezable ice packs.

[www.walmart.com]

Toss them into the freezer and keep them frozen.

Just place a paper towel on the top of one of the frozen ice packs to help keep things from sliding around.

Put in equal parts of a and b finishing epoxy and mix slowly for 2 minutes of 120 seconds.

Set the plastic mixing cup on top of the freezer block and go ahead and apply finish. The ice block will keep your finish cooler and will extend your pot life for a considerable amount of time.

p.s.
I have tried mixing finish in aluminum foil cups and i hate it.
I try to take the finish out of the plastic mixing cups and I hate it.

So, I don't use aluminum anything for finish. I just use inexpensive 2 oz mixing cups for each batch of finish that I apply and toss the cups when finished with the rod build.
I use inexpensive craft sticks for mixing that I first blunt cut the ends and then use my belt sander to put rounded corners on the ends of the mixing sticks. the square end on the ends of the stick allow me to use the stick as a scraper to get all parts of the finish mixed, and by sanding a small radius on the end corners of the mixing stick, the other wise sharp corners of the craft stick, do not try to perforate the sides of the mixing cup.

When I finish mixing, I use a paper towel to wipe all of the finish off the mixing stick so I can use the same stick for many many batches of epoxy mixing. I throw the cups away when done with one mix. I use disposable nylon application brushes, so I never clean any brushes.

So, I never clean cups;. I never clean cups. I wipe off the craft mixing stick and reuse the same stick many many times, so I have no cleaning solvents in the shop to deal with their fumes etc.

But, try the frozen refreezable ice and you will have an end to your application issues caused by short pot life.

Date: June 06, 2020 02:08PM

Amazing the trouble people will go to in lieu of a far easier solution.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 06, 2020 02:40PM

Tom, what Rodmaker had the epoxy cooler in it?

Date: June 06, 2020 03:01PM

THANKS Everybody, I will try the blue ice trick as I have some in my freezer that I use for camping. Will get back to you all with results
"Bent Rods To Ya"
Darrel

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 06, 2020 04:28PM

Hello Ben.

Volume-19 Issue-5 Page-12, by Chuck Brewer.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Date: June 06, 2020 05:22PM

That's the one.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 06, 2020 06:06PM

Great, thanks Robert and Tom.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: June 06, 2020 08:13PM

Does not get any easier than using a reusable cold pack, pull it out of the freezer throw a rag on top and use it to keep you epoxy cool. Did this over 20 years ago before I had air conditioning in my shop.
I like and use the Mudhole aluminum mixing dishes, I will reuse them until they basically fill up with old leftover epoxy finish. I just mix a new batch on top of the cured epoxy left behind in the dish. A pack of 25 will last a very long time. But that’s just me.

Date: June 06, 2020 09:20PM

Works to heat the epoxy in the wintertime as well. Same $3 unit. Dial in whatever pot life you want.

Posted by: Grant Darby (172.92.68.---)
Date: June 07, 2020 10:06AM

Wouldn't it be great if info like the cooling/ heating dohickie was availabe in the library??

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 07, 2020 10:23AM

Hello Grant.

It's in the magazine, if you have a subscription you have the information, if not, why not?

Teaching costs, learning costs, (I imagine) that the magazine is Toms major source of income though I'm not sure.

If he was to put everything on the web site, why would anybody buy the magazine, I think we are lucky he puts up the amount of stuff he does.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster