I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Walley bobber blank
Posted by: Michael Tuma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 03, 2020 07:02PM

I have done a lot of looking on this site for suggestions on a 7’ to 8’ one-piece blank to use for a walleye slip bobber rod. This will be the sole purpose of this rod. Most of the older post recommended blanks that are no longer available. (they were from 2012 or older) So I thought I would ask again to see if there is something new. I saw there were many comments about using hot shot or popping or steel head blanks but that just widen the search. Also saw it is recommended to use no smaller than a #6 to #8 guide because of the bobber stop. All and any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Walley bobber blank
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 03, 2020 08:36PM

Lamiglas has an x fast 7 1/2 ft. blank rated 1/8 - 5/8 oz., 8 - 17 line if I remember right that was designed for walleye. Looks like a great price for a blank that sold for over twice as much. In their blank sale section. Could call them about it. LW 941 MT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2020 10:36AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: June 03, 2020 09:12PM

I have used the MHX SJ9000 blank as a slip float rod for crappie, we don’t have walleye down here. It is a very nice blank, I build it with PacBay Minima M guides for the reduction train and Minima F guides for the runners, set up KR style. I use size 5 runners, which have an ID of about a 6 ceramic guide, could also use size 6 runners, but the 5s work. [www.mudhole.com]
Norm

Posted by: Brian Jackson (---)
Date: June 03, 2020 10:02PM

St Croix used to make an 8ft ML fast action that made a great slip bobber rod. They are a 2pc though. I built one a year or two ago on their SCIV blank. I know they are no longer available, but if you could find one, I’d highly recommend it for that application. Long enough to pick up slack line at the hook set. Nice blue finish on them too. I built mine with Minimas with size 5 being the smallest.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---)
Date: June 04, 2020 02:27AM

Utmost Enterprises a sponsor on the left side of the page. Rainshadow SP 942, SP 943, or SP 944 depending on the size of the walleye you are after. The specs are on their site. They are 7 foot 10 inch 1 piece blanks.

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 04, 2020 10:48AM

We’d recommend our Rainshadow Revelation REVS76ML, which we designed specifically for walleye rigging and slip bobber applications. Specs: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

The Immortal IMMWS76ML is a step up from the Rev, just depending what budget you’re looking for. Check out the specs here: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Date: June 04, 2020 07:17PM

Thank you guys for the input. I ordered up some blanks and can’t wait for them to get here.

Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.179.---)
Date: June 05, 2020 08:46AM

Michael what do you use for bait on a Walleye slip bobber set-up? Are you still fishing or slow trolling, or...?

Posted by: Brian Gross (50.226.78.---)
Date: June 05, 2020 05:29PM

On Mille Lacs lake here in Minnesota we use 1/8-1/4oz Northland jig heads with leaches or shiners for slip bobbering walleyes.
I use a 7'6" ML fast action that slides into the handle down to like 6'6" or something. Works great for getting the slack out when you set the line. look up on You Tube there is tons of walleye slip bobber videos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2020 05:33PM by Brian Gross.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (199.241.225.---)
Date: June 05, 2020 07:46PM

You may also want to look at the Rodgeeks blanks, [rodgeeks.com] , they have several in the 7'6" range that should make great bobber rods.

Date: June 08, 2020 09:32AM

Bob Ginther Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Michael what do you use for bait on a Walleye slip
> bobber set-up? Are you still fishing or slow
> trolling, or...?

Bob, I would be using minnows and leeches still fishing. Sometimes from shore or the river bank.

Date: June 09, 2020 09:05PM

The rod blanks just come in. The RX6 SP942 feels like a great blank for this application. But the immortal IMMWS76ML feels even better. This blank is awesome. Wish I would have gone with both of them in the IMMWS76ML blank. But I don’t think my wife would know that difference. Thank you everyone for the help. I will let you know what I think after I get some time on the water with them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster