I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guides for bamboo blank
Posted by: Bill Moschler (---)
Date: June 03, 2020 04:51PM

Spocifically I am building a 7'. 3 wt blank. Not sure what brand, configuration, or sizes to use. I have built mostly lightweight carbon rods and tend to use single foots for them. It has been a while since I have wrapped a rod or studied the catalogs for guides.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guides for bamboo blank
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 03, 2020 06:27PM

single foots will work for carbon, glass, or bamboo rods..

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: June 03, 2020 06:52PM

Ben is correct; single foot guides will work. The purist / traditionalist (and that would be me) would think in a sin to even consider anything other than snakes. But the truth is neither the bamboo nor the guides care and the last time I asked a fish it diid not care either.

For guides and sizes, I'd use a Joe Arguello 8 or 10 mm agate guide, then a Snake Brand 1/0 snake followed by 2/0s to the tip top. But that's just me.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 03, 2020 08:10PM

Snake brand , snake guides are the best , as I see it . a little more in $$ but worth it , most of the sponsors on the left will have them , [fly rod people ] PS very little if any guide prep

William Sidney
AK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2020 08:12PM by Bill Sidney.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 03, 2020 09:05PM

bamboo has so much mass to begin with that i don,t think single foot ceramics would slow it down much more..#4 LAGs for runners and a #6 LAG butt guide, just for giggles..lol.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: June 04, 2020 07:27AM

For an authentic antique look ring-and-keeper guides are necessary.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: June 04, 2020 09:56PM

About 50% of my builds are cane. Snake brand are the best. Yes a bit more than others but you just can’t beat them. My second choice if you want to save a bit are the Batson light wire.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---)
Date: June 08, 2020 05:06PM

Thanks for all the help. Ordered the Snake Brand guides. Was amazed at how quickly they came. Does Joe Araguello still sell the agate guides?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster