I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

stripping old reel seats
Posted by: Nathan Parker (---)
Date: June 01, 2020 09:03PM

What's the safest/most reliable method for removing blank exposed type reel seats from rods for rebuild?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: stripping old reel seats
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 01, 2020 09:14PM

A careful spiral cut-split. Be wary of using heat - you can easily damage the rod blank.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 01, 2020 09:26PM

i only ever did one with a hacksaw..i got it off but never again..too risky.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 01, 2020 10:00PM

Nathan,
As Mr. Kirkman said the spiral cut will work well.

When I do it, I tend to use a dremal tool with an abrasive cut off wheel to cut almost through the reel seat on two sides of the reel seat. Then, I insert a wide bladed screwdriver into the slots that have just been cut. Then, the screwdriver is twisted and the reel seat will just pop off of the rod blank.

The process of using the wide bladed screwdriver and giving it a twist when it is in the slot develops a great deal of force that will easily break the glue bond.

Take care

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 01, 2020 11:17PM

"The process of using the wide bladed screwdriver and giving it a twist when it is in the slot develops a great deal of force that will easily break the glue bond. "

This is very true and also why you do not need to cut all the way down the rod blank. Just get close. Work slowly and carefully. Should be able to remove the seat in about 15 minutes or less.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 01, 2020 11:23PM

What do you do when you need to save the seat but it has to come off?

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: June 02, 2020 09:37AM

I doubt if a exposed type reel seat can be removed and saved without sacrificing a section of the blank.

There is no space between the seat and the blank to use a tool to break the adhesive bond and if heat is used there is risk of damaging the blank.

If the seat is irreplaceable sacrifice the blank if not then remove the seat as described above.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: June 03, 2020 12:19AM

Nathan,
As stated earlier, you need to decide which is more important; the seat or the rod! Rarely can one have his cake and eat it too. After you determine such, proceed with the veteran advise above. If the old seat is sacrificed, be prepared to build-up the blank at the seat location to accommodate for it being smaller than the butt of the blank when installing from the rear (unless you are removing the guides in front of the seat).

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 03, 2020 12:04PM

If you want to sacrifice the blank but keep the reel seat, chop the blank on each side of the reel seat and then just use a drill to drill the blank out of the inside of the reel seat. As you drill, the blank will heat up and you will come to a point where the heat from the drill will have heated the adhesive enough to let the blank remnants slip out of the reel seat.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 03, 2020 03:29PM

If you are removing the rear grip I have had good luck using a piece of PVC tubing to remove reel seats. Basically, a 3/4” PVC pipe will fit over the butt end of most freshwater blanks. Need a length of pipe that is several inches longer than the butt to the reel seat. With the pipe snugged up against the reel seat and you holding the blank above the reel seat, hit the PVC pipe with a hammer. This is usually enough to break the epoxy bond to enable removal. If the bond doesn’t break after several minutes heat the reel seat with a heat gun or boiling water, and try again. I have removed a lot of reel seats this way without damaging either the seat or the blank. There have been a couple of time I could not remove the seat this way, and had to cut it off.
Norm

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 04, 2020 02:41PM

Nathan, I posted a 'Homemade Boiling Tower' I made for safely heating Handle/Reel Seats for removal. I posted some pictures of it in Grips and Handles. I have removed many reel seats from rods with this tool. I wrap a long rubber innertube strand grip around the rod blank and I have a ring circle of wire just above the the tube to keep the rod centered so it doesn't touch the hot sides of the top of the tube while it is submerged. I only submerge to the seat! I use thick leather gloves when I lift the rod out. You don't want to twist much when you attempt to remove seat. PULL is the trick.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster