I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod socks and tubes
Posted by: Carl Butler (---)
Date: June 01, 2020 08:33AM

Hello everyone, so you build a beautiful rod now where do you go for rod socks and tubes to protect the work you’ve done. Even information on making your own.

Re: Rod socks and tubes
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 01, 2020 09:21AM

Carl,
If the rod is going to be used in a rod locker in a boat, it is pretty tough to beat the expanding finger lock style of rod sock. Quick, easy, and relatively inexpensive.

For example:

[www.wish.com]

For transport, the use of a 2 inch pvc tube for a casting rod and the use of the 3 inch pvc tube for spinning rods work very well . For transporting multiple rods at one time the use of a 4 inch pvc thin wall tube works very well.

[www.lowes.com]

[www.lowes.com]

Purchase caps for each end of the pipe of your choice. Glue one cap on one end for a permanent end and a press fit cap on the other end for loading and unloading the rod/s.

After purchasing the pipe, you can use a cloth - used outside in a gentle breeze -- soaked with acetone to remove all of the lettering on the pipe for a nice clean finish.

When going on fishing trips, I will take up to 10 rods and place them tip to butt in an interlocking fashion and 10 rods will fit nicely into a 4 inch pvc tube for transport with no fear of damage.

Particularly with fly in trips it is important to have a hard case for rods to avoid rod damage in transit.

Take care

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 01, 2020 11:27AM

Fly Fishing Extras makes beautiful rod socks in many patterns and configurations. They are my go-to source.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 01, 2020 01:11PM

Also - REC.
Also CTS
Herb

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 01, 2020 04:45PM

I have a 6" sch 40 pvc 8' piece with removable end caps, I keep in the back of my truck for transporting rods. Also use in combination with socks to keep from getting scratched up. Never broke one caring them like this.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: June 01, 2020 07:06PM

Carl,
If you care to do so, inspect the linked photos of the rod tubes I fabricate. They are light, strong, quick and easy to open/close and yet quite inexpensive. If interested further, see my construction instructions in the forum under Build Custom Rod Tubes for Your Customers dated 03/20/2019.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michael Ward (172.58.155.---)
Date: June 01, 2020 11:26PM

I’ve been making rod socks - can do them for something in the $3-$4 ea range depending on size & length of reel. Use the expanding wire loom, a bit of heat shrink to seal the top, and then curl the bottom in on itself and hit with some heat. I typically add some elastic cord for a small hanging loop at the top and the. Cord and a spring button at the bottom where it’s folded over itself to make a cinch strap to hold the sleeve to the reel

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: June 02, 2020 04:11AM

Another vote for Fly Fishing Extras. High quality will make custom sizes if their stock sizes won't work for you. For tubes I really prefer a 2 1/2 inch for spinning rods. Tough to find PVC and fitting in that size though. Mountain Cork offers a 2 1/2 inch tube in various lengths. It is nylon lined with a tough cordura outer sleeve and a zippered end cap. Got a couple pack rods stashed in the truck in 2 1/2 x 21 tubes. Nice to get a tube for protection yet be able to size it as small as possible.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: June 04, 2020 09:46PM

Carl,
Are you still with us?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Carl Butler (---)
Date: June 04, 2020 10:04PM

I’ve been reading all the post here. Thanks for all the information. I’ve been looking at some of the different types of socks and tubes for both Fly rods and spinning rods, and bait casting rods . Thanks again Carl.

Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: June 08, 2020 11:32AM

I buy my aluminum rod tubes from a guy in Colorado...Ron Cilli. He is self employed and does a lot of tubes and socks and other fishing stuff. I think if you google Landmark components you will find him. Very good product and fair priced.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster