I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides
Posted by: Art Grobaker (---.crls.centurylink.net)
Date: May 31, 2020 05:06PM

I'm new to rod building, short story love to fish lost my leg took up building rods for a hobby. How do you know which way to place a guide? With double leg toward the butt or towards the tip top? I want to build some salt water rods and want to make sure I have the guides in the correct position. Any help in understanding this would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 31, 2020 06:49PM

Single leg forward.
Especially the Fuji K guides to facilitate the guide being snag-free.
But some do reverse the orientation . Maybe they will chime-in and say why.
Herb

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 01, 2020 08:07AM

Like Herb said is how I have always done it .. Exc for the Fuji RV. Which goes with the single leg toward the butt.

Posted by: Art Grobaker (---.crls.centurylink.net)
Date: June 01, 2020 10:01AM

Thank you any advice helps. Like I said I'm new so I want to learn and do it correctly.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: June 01, 2020 07:31PM

Has anyone ever compared the performance of two rods with identical blanks but different guide trains - I mean measured performance, not personal opinions or feelings?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 01, 2020 10:04PM

Phil,
What test would you use to get a precise scientific repeatable measure of performance.

You can't use casting distance unless you use a mechanical repeatable robot to flip the rod.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: June 02, 2020 08:08AM

Roger: Statistics are a reputable source of objective information. Have an angler take 25 casts with each of two rods, each with a different guide train. Measure each cast in distance and accuracy in feet and inches, and use arithmetic to determine average distance and average accuracy. Repeat this process with 20 or 30 anglers chosen at random. Examine the results (versus your feelings) to see whether different guides do or do not enable casting distance and/or accuracy. Actual, numerical PROOF of superior distance/accuracy by one particular type of guide would create a sales bonanza for the manufacturer! Funny how they stick to "feelings" rather than facts about guides?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2020 08:12AM by Phil Ewanicki.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 05, 2020 11:59AM

I'm fine with just using my judgment. To me it's just fishing, not world peace. I'd rather not burden the manufacturers with the costs it would take to do this. I'd end up paying for it in the product prices.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 05, 2020 09:47PM

the longer the cast the less accuracy you have..that,s all i need to know..so i keep my casts under 40' and i get better hook sets and the fish has less time to unhook itself or get into cover..

Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: June 08, 2020 11:36AM

Single foot guides go foot towards the tip??

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 08, 2020 01:52PM

i think most builders point single foots toward the butt and the ring leans a little towards the tip..

Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: June 08, 2020 07:57PM

That's how I have always placed them....foot towards the butt. Never saw them the other way. Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster