I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Should I takeThis a Sign
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: May 29, 2020 03:51AM

I have had more than my fair share of troubles with rods lately both built ones and in process. Latest was a broken older build that was one of my favorites. After a lot of research decided on a replacement blank from Rainshadow. Ordered it from Janns as they had it stock at a very good price. Get it today. Look it over seems a bit short for a 7 foot 3 blank. Get out the tape measure yup 7 inches short. Check invoice ordered the right one. Janns label matches the invoice. Rainshadow decal matches. But the label on the butt of the blank don't. What the @#$%&. Plastic sleeve was factory sealed just wrong blank in the sleeve. I will call Janns I am sure they will make things right. But damn my luck. Might have to take up golf. Fishing and rodbuilding is supposed to be relaxing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Should I takeThis a Sign
Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 29, 2020 04:18AM

Golf is worse! I could never understand Why you would hit a Perfectly Good Ball! And then Chase it around, And hit it again?? When you call Jann's ask them to email you a return label.
Cheer's and Tight Lines!!!

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.orlf.qwest.net)
Date: May 29, 2020 11:02AM

I'm with Jay. Golf is the most frustrating game in the world; one day you hit the ball OK and the next every shot goes in the woods.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: May 29, 2020 11:45AM

Please don't discourage golfing the more people on the green ground is less people on the blue water.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 29, 2020 01:20PM

Michael,
You can look at your experience as an opportunity.

You said that you had gotten this blank at a very good price.

Why not build the rod up to use for a rod that will work well for the given length of the incorrectly marked blank and then, go ahead and get the correct one.

I suspect that the return postage would be in the $20 range, so save the $20 and build the rod and obtain the correct blank.

Best wishes.

As the Sage said, "stuff happens."

"Stuff happens in every walk of life in every occupation.?"

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 29, 2020 05:20PM

The problem is probably with the translators. Probably 90% of U.S.A. rod blanks are fabricated off-shore and imported. Since rod-blanks are classified only by subjective means: "smooth" - "powerful" - "fast" - for example, there is considerable confusion and overlap in the price and performance of most rod blanks, For example: How "powerful" is a "godgiba" blank, and how fast is a "snofatu" blank?

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 29, 2020 07:59PM

Club shafts are good for setting up grips and reel seats.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: May 29, 2020 10:27PM

Thought about keeping the blank. But just don't like it all. Seems to be very off of the specs. Cannot think of any application I could use it for that I don't already have a much better rod for. Will call Janns Monday. Fishing got me sidetracked today. And it was just that no catching. Luck needs to change here soon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster