I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide advice
Posted by: Mark Dining (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 28, 2020 10:48PM

I am planning my first rod build. It is going to be a casting rod for casting swimsuits on 1/2-1 oz. jigheads, for halibut, from shore in the SF Bay. I plan on using a Rainshadow IMMP70H blank. I'm going for light weight as I'm 61.
I intend to use 12,10, 8, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6 as my layout. I have two questions: am I even going to notice the difference between titanium and SS16 Alps MXN guides? The bigger question is whether to use single foot guides for the 6mm, or stick with two foot guides, as I will mostly be on a rock wall.
I appreciate any opinions and experience!
Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide advice
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 29, 2020 08:56AM

You could drop the 10 and 8 and just go with all 6's after the 12 - the drop will be just as gradual since the guides are not stacked up against each other.

If you use the Forhan locking wrap the single foots will be secure and assuming these are low frame guides they shouldn't be very prone to shifting or moving anyway.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 29, 2020 09:33AM

Mark, my flipping rods all use single foot #6 guides for over 50 years..the abuse a flipping rod takes is like no other, rod poking off snags with guides beating on limbs the locking wrap kept the guides tight to the rod to this day..no shifting of guides what so ever..the locking wrap has eliminated double foot guides for me.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 29, 2020 09:51AM

Single-foot guides save weight, save time wrapping, and work well on one-hand rods. I would stick to two-footed guides for two-handed rods casting larger weights for bigger fish.

Date: May 29, 2020 10:12AM

Thank you!

Date: May 29, 2020 10:13AM

Thank you!

Date: May 29, 2020 10:13AM

Thank you!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: May 29, 2020 10:47AM

Eleven guides on a 7’ Heavy power rod seems like a little over kill to me. Depending on the reel size I would use a double foot 12 stripper if using a higher profile reel or a double ft 10 stripper with a low profile reel. I would follow the stripper chosen with a size 8 or 6 double ft guide, respectively, for the extra strength they provide. The runners could all be single foot guides and should cause no problems. Titanium guides are a little lighter, but a little more brittle, and more expensive. The major advantage of titanium is their corrosion resistance. Play around with your guide train and see what layout you like the best.
Norm

Date: May 29, 2020 10:59AM

I have been basing my design on Batson blueprints, but I am not tied to using Alps. Which guides would you suggest? I see Fuji belly and running guides - 4 belly and 6 running? And what would you use for the 12?

Date: May 29, 2020 11:25AM

Thank you!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: May 29, 2020 02:27PM

Alps or Fuji are both very good guides. I personally like Fuji, but that’s me. The double foot Fuji KW guides would work quite well, and Fuji also makes both KB and KT running guides in a size 6 and they are quite durable. The only difference between the KB and KT guides is the size of the foot, which is longer and wider with the KB guides. The KBs are designed to be used in the mid section (belly) of the blank to resist the pullout forces generated when the blank is fully loaded. The KT guides have a shorter and narrower foot because the pullout are nearly as great in the tip section. You can these guides in a corrosion control finish, or in titanium. I still think 11 guides are too many, I usually use 9 to 10 guides total on a 7’ rod, and that’s using microguides. Other people like more guides and still others less. It up to you and what you feel most comfortable using. It is one of the things that make a rod custom.
Norm

Date: May 29, 2020 10:27PM

Are you still a fan of the SeaGuide RS? I can't quite see spending for Torzite at this time. I'm thinking Alps with Fuji Arowanna SIC top, or possibly Seaguide RS.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 29, 2020 10:40PM

You don't need Torzite guides. SeaGuide makes some very nice guides with the RS or zirconia ring inserts that will work well. There are a lot of nice guides out there. American Tackle and PacBay also have titanium frames. Pick a brand and go with it.
Norm

Date: May 29, 2020 10:45PM

Thanks, I'm sure it won't be the last rod I'll build.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster