I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Comparing 3 Casting Blanks: Point Blank, NFC and RS
Posted by: Dennis Penton (---)
Date: May 24, 2020 03:50PM

I really liked fishing with the PB731MXF. Unfortunately I no longer have it. I've exchanged a Rainshadow IMMC72M in favor of a IMMC73ML, feeling that the72M was a bit heavier action than I want. It felt more like it was on the MH side. So as I wait for the arrival of the ML blank, I'd like to know which, if any, NFC blanks are similar to the PB731. To be honest the ratings and specs on NFC's website are confusing, so I was hoping someone could weigh in with real world experience.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Comparing 3 Casting Blanks: Point Blank, NFC and RS
Posted by: benjie bates (---)
Date: May 24, 2020 08:10PM

I prefer point blank over nfc

Had a bunch

The 73 ml is money

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2020 06:35PM

benjie bates Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I prefer point blank over nfc
>
> Had a bunch
>
> The 73 ml is money

Ditto!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: May 27, 2020 05:39PM

What happened to the POINT Blank?

Posted by: Dennis Penton (---)
Date: May 27, 2020 07:17PM

Jim Ising Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What happened to the POINT Blank?

Jim, I emailed you about it. Aaron is taking care of it. Let me know if you need more info. I can send you a PM. Thank you.
BTW I absolutely love the blank, except for my misfortune...

Date: May 27, 2020 08:32PM

Ah yes, Dennis. Glad you liked it. Kinda like ordering a filet mignon and then dropping on the floor after a couple of bites.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 29, 2020 08:24AM

In order to insure an unbiased comparison of rod blanks (or anything else) a double-blind test is necessary, so the tester is influenced ONLY by performance, not advertising, cost, or profit. Unbiased, credible tests of fishing tackle are extremely rare, but you can swim in unproven claims and hype.

Date: May 29, 2020 09:36AM

Phil, and I am asking this in all sincerity, can you please name a consumer product that we all buy based on hard, objective, measurable data,... with no emotion, opinion or subjectivity attached whatsoever? A product we all buy because it is demonstrably better according to the "data". I've spent the last few minutes trying to think of one. I can't.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: May 29, 2020 07:37PM

When I buy a car I know its safety rating, miles per gallon rating, top speed, braking distance, maximum load, a HOST of OBJECTIVE, verifiable facts. Same goes for a shotgun, a convection oven, a T.V., even a circular saw - you get the idea. Sure, some few consumers are emotionally attracted to a particular circular saw, but most tool buyers rely upon objective data. A fish pole is a tool. Being told a rod is "crisp" or "powerful" or "accurate" or "light" or "smooth" or strong" or "soulful" provides absolutely no measurable or useful information. Some people love this kind of razz-ma-tazz. Serious anglers deserve better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster