I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How do I change color thread when wrapping guides
Posted by: Keith Langford (---)
Date: May 23, 2020 12:14AM

Is there a video that shows how to change thread color, I want to start with silver for about an 1/8 of an inch then change to red on the guide wraps, Thank you.

Keith Langford

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do I change color thread when wrapping guides
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 23, 2020 12:25AM

Keith,
To do that I start both thread colors at the same time. Just overwrap the red locking thread as you do the silver edge and then, pull the silver edge locking thread on up the rod and begin to wrap the red for a dozen wraps to lock the silver in place.

When doing short sections of inlay threads, I will often do this technique. Sometimes I might have 4 or 5 different threads that I am over wrapping to lock in place so that the thread will be on the ready when it comes time for their turn to be wrapped.

By using this technique there is never an issue about a thread section not have secure locks on the ends of the wrap.

Take care

Posted by: Levi Bakker (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 23, 2020 12:15PM

Several ways to do what you're looking for.

1. Wrap your guide with red and add a silver trim band to the front of it. Easiest way for that is the nail knot technique - it takes some practice, but once you get the hang of it is pretty easy.

2. Take a length of silver and tape it to the blank, start your red wrap over top of it. Once you get the red wrap going toward the guide a little ways, start wrapping the silver the opposite way on the end. If doing this you'll want to put your pull through for the silver in almost right away. You'll also have to be paying attention to both the red and the silver at the same time to watch for jumps. The silver thread will be wrapped with hand tension and won't be coming off a spool. Again, the more you practice the easier it gets.

3. Start the wrap with silver, with a pull through right off the bat. once you get your silver to the right length, use the pull through to pull the red thread under while it's on the spool on your carriage. Wrap the red over the silver to lock it in and cut the silver with enough of a tag to hold. Finish your red wrap as normal.

4. Transition with an inlay - start your silver, add in your red as an inlay, do a couple wraps, cut the silver and continue with red. Video for this method: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: May 23, 2020 12:54PM

I just start the trim wrap, make as many turns as I want and add a half turn. For example, if I want a 4 turn trim wrap I make 4 1/2 wraps . I then bring in the main wrap thread in between the the trim wrap and the trim thread, make a turn to catch both the trim thread and the main wrap thread. I put my left thump over the cross over point and then cut the trim thread. Make a few more turns with the main thread then pull the tag ends of the trim together to get my 4 turn trim wrap. I then trim all the tags and continue to finish the wrap. Takes a little practice but works great, and become a very fast and easy way to make a trim wrap or add another thread. If you have have problems with the trim slipping just make a couple of extra turns, after cutting the trim thread and over wrapping, you can unwrap the trim thread from the tag end to get the number of turns you want, including a single thread trim wrap. If you want to make an inlay later in the wrap, just cut the trim thread extra long and wrap over it until you need to bring it in, make your inlay and bring back under the main wrap make a few more wraps and trim. No tape, no pull loops, and no knots. Might add an extra 30 seconds to a minute per guide wrap. Becomes quite routine after a little practice
Norm

Posted by: Keith Langford (---)
Date: May 24, 2020 12:30AM

Thank all of you for the help, great people on this forum

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster