I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New CTS carbon fiber grips
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 22, 2020 08:20PM

I just received a new CTS carbon fiber grip (full wells) it is unlike any carbon fiber grip I have seen, handled or made. The interior foam is elastic, yet the exterior of the grip is ridged. The surface they advertise as "silk touch" with a very light rubberized feel. When the grip is dropped on a hard surface, it sounds like a glass tube! Really unique and unusual.

Has anyone had experience with these grips? Herb? I cannot wait to put one of the on a rod and both cast and fish it!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New CTS carbon fiber grips
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 23, 2020 08:45AM

Hey Phil,
Some will be delivered to me on my next shipment.
They are a little too long for my personal use. I like my grips about 6 5/8".
But I have to handle one before I decide.
Also interested to see if the rigid skin on the forward end of the grip comes in contact with the blank. Will have to be ported and cushioned with a neoprene "O" ring if it does.
Let me know after you install one.
Herb

Date: May 23, 2020 12:32PM

Herb, the ridged end is only the forward end as the rear is inletted for the reel seat. My solution to your concern regarding contact with the blank, is to bore it out just slightly larger than the blank at that point. It is not any harder than a blank, so do not think it is a real issue.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 23, 2020 04:49PM

Phil,
I have been looking at those grips and actually contacted Herb about them. When you say "elastic" I assume you mean it is somewhat spongy or soft? The core material will flex enough to contact the blank at the front end of the full wells where the winding check would be if not reamed out a little?
Thanks,
Lance

Date: May 24, 2020 12:38AM

Lance, that is correct. The interior foam is somewhat soft enough that very little reaming is needed, even none on light weight rods. However due to the hard shell under the top carbon fiber surface, there is no detection of the softer core.

I did order any of the "natural" grips with this shipment, but now have some on order.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 24, 2020 08:45AM

so my question is:
why would you not want the carbon to come in contact with the blank?

When building carbon grips, one of my main goals is to have the carbon be in contact with the blank

Date: May 24, 2020 11:30AM

I should let Herb answer as he mentioned it. But, I think most likely it is because CTS describes the end as having extra internal reinforcing. He may be concerned that it could nick the blank at that point when the rod flexes.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 24, 2020 12:40PM

Steve, Phil,
I used to install CF grips on my rods 8-10 years ago - I noticed that the hard carbon skin on the forward end of the grip came in contact with the blank. As the blank flexed against the rigid carbon skin it actually etched the blank. Over time I am sure that it would pose a problem leading to failure of the blank at that point.
My remedy for that was to port the forward end enough to fit a neoprene "O" ring that acted as a cushion.
Herb

Date: May 26, 2020 05:26PM

I do as Herb mentions, however I just port it very slightly larger than the blank at that point and fill the gap with the same epoxy I am using to attache the winding check. I have been installing CF grips since they first came out, no failures to date!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster