I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel Seat Placement
Posted by: David Wilson (---)
Date: May 22, 2020 02:56PM

Hello All,

I am new to rob building and have 2 Bushido CB72/8-15 blanks on the way. I am waiting for the blanks so I can get a measurement as to what exposed blank reel seat to order.

Is there a standard length from butt to reel seat that is commonly used? Or do you normally feel the bare blank and decide what feels best and mount reel seat there?

I have seen templates for guide placement but haven’t seen much on reel seat placement. Any advise/input would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all,

David

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel Seat Placement
Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.247.206.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: May 22, 2020 03:00PM

Welcome to the board. There will be many replies Im sure. I am fairly new myself. There is no hard fast rule for reel seat placement. Its all about rod balance and personal preference. If you know the reel you want to use, I would suggest taping the reel to the blank along with the guides and get a feel for where you want to put it. I am assuming you haven't picked out grips either yet?

Posted by: David Wilson (---)
Date: May 22, 2020 03:05PM

Thank you Ken, that’s right. I haven’t picked grips yet either. Plan to get my hands on the blanks and order reel seat, guides and grips together.

Posted by: Brian Gross (50.226.78.---)
Date: May 22, 2020 05:10PM

10" from butt to rear of reel seat is a starting point.

Posted by: David Parsons (---)
Date: May 22, 2020 06:39PM

David it depend on you do you like a short butt or a long butt I myself like a long butt I'm 6 foot 3 tall and like 7 foot or longer rods . MY one friend is a party boat captain and he likes short butts and 6 foot 6 rods but is a lot shorter the me.

Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 23, 2020 10:24AM

Place the blank in your casting hand and see where the butt ends lies against your arm. Lengthen or shorten your hand position based on what feels right to you. Mark the point where the reel will sit and set your seat accordingly.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 23, 2020 05:16PM

For me it depends on the main type of use the rod is for. For a wading rod I prefer a a shorter rear grip and for something that will be used on a boat or on the shore (jetties / piers) a bit longer. Do what Ed says and I will add that I use my elbow as a guide or rather the distance from the butt of the rod to my elbow. Also consider how you land a fish and is the length of the grip going to be constrictive or helpful for what you are doing. Casting wise, is it going to give adequate leverage for a good cast.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 23, 2020 10:18PM

It's not the reel seat dimension you want to understand, it's the reel stem to butt dimension. Which will depend on your preference whether ergonomics or balance is more important. Too long and the butt will hang up on the inner arm/elbow, too short and it won't balance. I build for ergonomics.

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: May 24, 2020 02:08PM

When I first started building rods, I measured some of my factory rods and placed the reel seat to mimic them. I've since modified some of those dimensions, but it's a good starting point. IMO Michael is spot on with his suggestion of building for ergonomics. Your first consideration when placing the reel seat should be with the ability to use the rod, comfortably. I mean, what good is a rod if you have trouble using it?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster