I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alps Power Wrapper?
Posted by: Trevor Esparza (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 22, 2020 11:58AM

Can the motor/chuck be switched to the right end of the track and still have the thread carriage in the front? I'm left handing and wrap from right to left. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alps Power Wrapper?
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 22, 2020 03:41PM

Trevor,
Yes, you can switch the motor / chuck.

However, you may have an issue.

The AC/DC universal motor on the alps chuck can not be easily reversed.

-----------------------
I am also left handed and have always built all of my power wrappers.

I use a thread holder that is behind the rod and the thread comes over the top of the rod toward me and I really would not be able to wrap any other way.

But, to do that I need to have the top of the rod rotating toward me.i It doesn't really matter if the chuck is on the left side or the right side. But, if you have the thread coming from a certain direction and want to keep it that way- when you move the motor and chuck from one side of the wrapper to the other side - the motor direction has to be reversed.

And like you, I have always had my motor and chuck on the right side of me and I always have the top of the rod rotating toward me. So, if you look at the face of the chuck, I have the chuck rotating in a clock wise direction.

But, if I have my motor and chuck on the left side of myself, and I look at the face of the chuck, I want the chuck to rotate in a counter clockwise direction.

For the last many years, I have used only DC low voltage gear motors to drive my power wrappers. To reverse a DC motor, one simply reverses the plus and minus power leads to the motor and the motor direction switches. This is easily completed with a cross wired DPDT switch.

------------------------------------
Just to illustrate some examples:

Here is an alps chuck with a DC motor, control box and appropriate pedal to control the motor:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Here is an alps chuck with a small DC gear motor placed under the head stock shaft, along with a control box and foot pedal to control the speed.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Here is a modified Alps chuck that is being driven by a small DC gear motor and the power is coupled from the motor to the Chuck with a pair of XL cogged pulleys and an Xl cogged belt.

---
However, just a note: All of these motors are low rpm small dc gear motors that do a wonderful job of wrapping and drying if one wishes. But, the size, power and speed of the motors are such that they will not power a power wrapper to use for grip shaping or turning. One needs to use a separate lathe for that if one wants to turn grips.

You can do the research and make the changes yourself.

--
This is the very simple head stock and motor with a keyless industrial chuck, shank and a Taig lathe chuck that I have used for the last many years for building my own rods and it has performed well for these past years.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

--
I normally use my wood lathe in a separate building to turn grips and it works very well. But now and then, a client wants just a small amount of change made to their grips. For this job, I use a former 24v rechargeable drill motor, gear train, and chuck from a scrapped out drill.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I just remove my small head stock and mount the drill motor. I use the same heavy duty power supply that I use for my rod building along with the same pedal. This has all of the same speed and power as an electric drill. I will also use the same shank, and taig chuck with this head stock as the one that I use for power wrapping.

These are all very simple and straight forward, but they have all worked perfectly for these last many years.

------------------------------------------
So, if you want to move the head stock and motor to the right side of your head stock if you wish. But, the reversing of the motor that comes with the lathe is going to be a problem.

However, there is a solution to your head stock chuck reversing problem by doing nothing to the motor direction itself.
But, you simply reverse the position of the motor.

For example, if you used your motor and then put it under the head stock as shown in this listing of the CRB wrapper head stock the head stock would be rotating in the opposite direction compared to your current Alps setup:
[www.mudhole.com]

--
Or you could fabricate a separate mount for your motor and mount it behind the head stock with a belt of the appropriate length to connect to the chuck and you would have the head stock reversing in the opposite direction.

--
The problem with the stock AC/DC universal motors used on the ALPS and other similar wrappers have a specific angular brush placement with respect to the armature windings.
So, normally to reverse these motors, the optimum of the brushes need to be moved to work properly.

AC/DC corded drills use a slightly different technology to be able to get similar power from their drills, no matter the direction of rotation.

But, the big issue with using a drill motor for power wrapping is NOISE. The gear reduction is all of the corded, as well as rechargeable DC drills have a significant amount of gear noise that is very very irritating amount of noise when peacefully spending hours wrapping rods.

Best wishes.

Summary, if you want to put the head stock on the right, you can do it. But you may have an issue with rod rotation direction. So, check before you switch.

Good luck

Posted by: Trevor Esparza (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 22, 2020 08:18PM

thank you. may just be easier to learn to wrap left to right.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 23, 2020 12:31AM

Trevor,
Just checking.
But, you do wrap from the rod blank up the guide foot and then terminate the wrap at the vertical section of the guide don't you?

I know that when I do spinning rods with the handle on the right side of me - my preferred wrapper placement with my favored left hand, I am always starting the wrap on the left of the guide because that is the bare blank. Then wrap up the guide foot to the vertical section of the guide with a tie off of the thread.

So, for single footed guides, this always means that I am wrapping from the left to the right.

One of the big reason for me to wrap in this direction is that I always have my intense light on the right side of the guide foot. Then, my left hand is guiding the thread and doing the wrap.

With the light on the right and my left hand guiding the thread, starting from the left and wrapping to the right - I never have a shadow on my wraps from my left hand not being in the way.

Conversely, if I have my light on the left and wrap from right to left, my wraps will always be in the shadow of my left hand that is doing the wrapping.

Take care

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster