I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Strong and Sensitive? Does Such a Beast Exist?
Posted by: benjie bates (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 21, 2020 11:29AM

I would take a look at these... [northforkcomposites.com]

I have 2 of the blanks and really like them, in the process of getting them built now just waiting on guides.

seems like a great compromise of strength and sensitivity

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 21, 2020 12:05PM

A significant number of fish-poles with a 2 ounce sinker sliding along the line bounce up and down while dangling over the tailgates of pickup trucks. And there's a significant number of fly rod buyers who buy two or three $1,200 fly rods and complain about "sensitivity", although they couldn't cast forty feet down-wind with a 30 mph tailwind. Designers, manufacturers, retailers of rods AND rod builders must deal with these realities. Take pity on them.

Date: May 21, 2020 06:14PM

Unless a blank is defective or damaged, in the hands of a competent angler a rod will NOT break while fighting a fish. The line will. I assume this claim will be disputed by, say, people whose boat has been struck by other vessels and sunk while they were fighting a fish.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 21, 2020 11:38PM

Phil,

Here in the upper Midwest, we commonly use a technique called "Lindy Rigging. " This was named after the angler - Al Linder who gave the technique its popularity. It is simply a sliding sinker that is about 2-6 feet behind the live bait hook that is normally baited with a minnow, crawler or leech. Using this technique the weight is dragged across the bottom with the bait floating up a bit form the bottom waiting for the tap or thunk from a Walleye on the hunt. When this happens, the angler releases tension on the line for about a 3 count to allow the fish to inhale the bait. Then, the angler reels up the slack and when the slack is gone, sets the hook and reels in the fish.

But, the issue is - as you pointed out, that often a rod will be in a vertical rod holder or have a non supported tip as the boat speeds from spot to spot. As this happens, depending on the wind and wave conditions, there are often big bounces in the boat which cause the heavy weight to bang against the rod, wherever the weight has ended up on the rod, when the rod was rigged for transport.

For myself as well as other fisher folks we will use a snap on hook that holds the weight. Then, when we go to put the rod in the rod holder for transport, we snap off the weight and put it in our pocket so that there is no weight to bang against the blank for rough water transport at a considerable speed. Then, when we get to the new spot, we snap the weight back onto the snap clevis and go back to fishing and catching the next big one.

Take care

Date: May 23, 2020 12:37PM

Send like an effective solution. Have you considered using circle hooks? I haven't gut-hooked or deep hooked a fish in years and I think my hookup-to-hit ratio has improved considerably. I'm certain a much higher percentage of fish survived that I've caught on bait and released.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster