I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question regarding line ratings
Posted by: joe williams (---.basf-corp.com)
Date: May 19, 2020 03:46AM

I've been building a few salt water blanks for bottom fishing, mostly snapper and grouper. So far have been using a 40-60lb class rod. My question is, which is more important, the line rating of the blank or the max drag rating of the reel I'm using?

I'm thinking of going down in rod size to a 20-40lb class rod " just to get a lighter rod" but keeping my 50lb line for abrasion resistance. my reel will only produce 22-30 lbs of drag. Could the blank be overloaded with the 50lb line? or will the drag slip before the blank gets overloaded?

The reel is a Shimano Torium 20, 50lb mono and 6-10oz of weight depending on current.

Thanks, Joe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question regarding line ratings
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 19, 2020 07:41AM

Your drag is adjustable, so unless you adjust it wrong, no problem. I almost always use line well above my rod's line weight spec, never broke one. Also, if you keep the curve of your rod about 90 degrees max you'll not overload the rod. Keep in mind that how you use the rod is important. If you point the rod directly at the load, the blank will never be overloaded, regardless of the tension on the line. Might pull the reel off the rod, but the blank will be fine. Just mentioning this to illustrate the principles at work.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 19, 2020 08:11AM

It depends on the blank and who rated it - ratings are completely subjective and there is no official handbook that says every manu has to rate them in a standardized fashion.

I did the ratings and specs on the Rodgeeks XC blanks, and and they do not reflect what you can actually fish on the blanks. There are guys using the XC 732 which is rated 15-25# with 20 pounds of drag and the rod still isn't overloaded. FOr what you are doing I would look at the XC 734, it's rated 20-40#, but more importantly the sinker rating for bottom fishing is 4-16oz which is perfect for the weights you are fishing [rodgeeks.com]

Posted by: joe williams (---.basf-corp.com)
Date: May 20, 2020 03:47AM

Thanks. Billy, I like the specs on the 734. I'll give that one a try.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster