I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St. Croix Graph-lite 8901-M-8
Posted by: Al Cournoyer (---)
Date: May 18, 2020 08:24PM

I’m in the middle of restoring an old graph-lite rod (top piece fiberglass bottom graphite) for a good friend that was given to him by his grandfather when he was a kid. He’s requested a shorter fore grip and replace the rear grip with cork tape. Now, my question is about guides. It appears they are SV’s with a pretty drastic reduction. There are 4 guides total and are in really rough shape, bad enough that it’s hard to get a good measurement to determine their size. My best guess is 50, 30, 20, 10. So I can either replace these with new or try a newer, better guide layout. This rod is rated 10-20lbs 3/4-3oz lures. I was thinking a KW layout, maybe 30, 25, 16, 4 X 10’s or KW30, KL25, KL16, 4 X KT10’s. I think it would definitely enhance the potential of the old rod plus he could use braid. I was thinking the KW’s to keep it double foot all the way and do the same wraps like it originally was. The KW, KL, KT’s might look a bit different because everything after the stripper would be single foot and I wouldn’t be able to mimic the original wraps. What do you guys think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St. Croix Graph-lite 8901-M-8
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: May 18, 2020 10:00PM

A more modern guide layout would better spread out the forces involved with casting and landing fish For a KW layout could use KW30, KW25, KW20, KW12, to your KW runners.
For a KW/KL hybrid layout you could use KW30, KL20, KL12 to KT runners. The KL20 is higher than the KW20 and fits well with the KW30. The KW/KL reduction train would be lighter. Just depends on what you want.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 18, 2020 10:04PM

Al,
When rebuilding an old rod to be used for fishing, I will generally strip the blank, remove the reel seat, and grips and do a wet sand on the blank.

Then, put on the grips and reel seat of choice - along with a size 20, 10, and 6 runners to the tip. I would use a double foot on the first guide and single foot on the rest of the guides.

You don't say whether this is a spinning or a casting rod.

Take care

Date: May 19, 2020 01:08PM

Sorry guys I forgot to follow so wasn’t getting notifications. It’s a spinning rod , I’d like to stay with the KW layout so the double foot matches the old layout somewhat. Norman I think I’ll give that layout a shot and test cast. Roger I went one step further and added a couple coats of permagloss to the top section. He will primarily will be tossing with mono so I’ll try the larger guides first and see how it goes. I’m trying to convince him to switch to braid but he’s stubborn as a mule! Thanks for the input fellas!

Date: May 19, 2020 03:32PM

Al,
Just curious.
If a person is catching lots of nice fish in the way that he goes fishing and he is really happy with his setup, why would the person want to change to a different type of line?

Yes, I know all of the advantages of braid. I also know all of the disadvantages of braid.

I mainly fish with mono - because it suits the type fishing that I am doing. But I do have spools loaded with braid so that when I am in those conditions where braid would be better, I will go with that line.

Take care

Date: May 19, 2020 05:00PM

I absolutely agree, I’d like to make him a rod that would be more than capable to use braid if he so chooses. I’m going to test cast with mono and braid so I know he’ll have the best of both worlds if he so chooses

Date: May 20, 2020 07:38AM

Al,
If the rod casts well with mono - it will work great with braid.

Take care

Posted by: Al Cournoyer (---.usace.army.mil)
Date: May 20, 2020 08:16AM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Al,
> If the rod casts well with mono - it will work
> great with braid.
>
> Take care

Great news, thank you Roger!

Date: May 20, 2020 08:28AM

A couple before and after pics

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: May 20, 2020 09:47AM

You did a good job stripping it down. How long is this rod, and what size reel will be used? I was under the impression that it was a surf rod when you stated it originally had a size 50 stripper, Hence my guide recommendation. The rod does not look all that long, but it could just be perception.
Norm

Date: May 20, 2020 09:50AM

It’s 8’, I’m not entirely sure what it’s purpose was with the size and number of guides it came with from the factory. He’s looking at a 3500-4500 size reel, I was figuring going a KW layout for a nice little spinning rod for schoolies

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 20, 2020 12:31PM

Back when that rod was made, they used very large and very few guides. There was no such thing as braided line or even high quality mono. Today the trend is using more guides which are smaller, and lighter, to spread out the forces generated while casting or fighting a big fish. With a 3500 or 4500 reel, you could certainly go to a KR concept if using braid or relatively light mono, but a KR concept using double ft guides would require the use of RV guides which only come in titanium frames thus are more expensive. So a NGC layout using KWs will work fine. Because of the reel size you could drop to a KW30L to KW20 to KW12 to size 8, 7 or 6 runners. A lot of options out there.
Norm

Date: May 20, 2020 12:34PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Back when that rod was made, they used very large
> and very few guides. There was no such thing as
> braided line or even high quality mono. Today the
> trend is using more guides which are smaller, and
> lighter, to spread out the forces generated while
> casting or fighting a big fish. With a 3500 or
> 4500 reel, you could certainly go to a KR concept
> if using braid or relatively light mono, but a KR
> concept using double ft guides would require the
> use of RV guides which only come in titanium
> frames thus are more expensive. So a NGC layout
> using KWs will work fine. Because of the reel size
> you could drop to a KW30L to KW20 to KW12 to size
> 8, 7 or 6 runners. A lot of options out there.
> Norm

Awesome info! Thanks Norm! I’ll post up some picks as the build proceeds

Date: June 21, 2020 11:28AM

progress, I'm not as far along as I'd like to be but making headway

Date: August 10, 2020 11:28AM

Signed, sealed and delivered. He loves it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster