I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
8ft 4wt Guides
Posted by: Ben Eipert (---.natcky.res.rr.com)
Date: May 18, 2020 09:16AM

I am building an 8ft 4wt on an MHX f804-4 blank. I had planned on using double foot snakes with the 18-8 Microwave stripper (3-1-1-1/0-1/0-1/0-1/0-1/0). I found a handful of size 4 Minima single foot guides. Would I be able to go stripper to 6 to 4 for the reminder of my rod or would the guides be too small/kill blank action?

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 8ft 4wt Guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 18, 2020 09:59AM

Why so many different sizes? Just go from the 3 to the 1/0, or even straight from the stripper to the 1/0 guides. Guides aren't stacked up next to each other so the idea that using a bunch of different sizes results in a more gradual reduction isn't the case.

Date: May 18, 2020 10:29AM

My main reasoning is a lack of research. I went with the recommended sizing from the manufacturer. I had assumed that was right as it made sense since I build mostly bass rods. I searched around for stripper placement info and came across the article in the library about it. I am on a time crunch for a trip so I may not have time to get more 1/0 in. This is mainly a failure to plan issue.

Date: May 18, 2020 10:33AM

It won't make much difference if you have to use a few of those #1's, but in the future just remember that it's not really necessary.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 18, 2020 10:39AM

The flexibility of fly lines varies widely depending on the type of line being used and the ambient temperature, while the ideal size and placement of fly rod guides relies upon the flexibility of the line being cast. General advice is generally not much help.

Date: May 18, 2020 10:45AM

Tom,

I will definitely remember! I have added the article to my offline library too. Would you go from the stripper to 1s or would that be too few guides?

Phil,

I will keep that in mind. I should have know better, I have built half a dozen rods on the same bass blank and they all had somewhat different spacings. Fly rods should be no different.

Thanks everyone!

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 18, 2020 11:51AM

Ben,
IMO - I wouldn't use a MW stripper - and I wouldn't go smaller than a #1 guide - whether you go from stripper directly to a #3 or the #1 train.
Herb

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: May 18, 2020 12:12PM

A 1/0 will be more than suitable for that build. If 2/0 were suitable for a 4 and 5wt by such an accomplished and well known and respected person such as Tom Morgan, then I feel quite sure that 1/0 will work

Ron Weber

Posted by: Angelo Biviano (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 18, 2020 12:32PM

Hi Ben, as Ron notes, 1/0s are absolutely fine for 4 wt. line. I have them on three builds now and they work great and really keep weight down.

Regarding your question: "Would you go from the stripper to 1s or would that be too few guides?" I'm working on a build right now, and the step down between my 10 mm stripper and the next sz.1 is fine. However, I wouldn't reduce your number of recommended guides for your given rod length just to take the sz. 3 out. I'm assuming you need at least 9 guides for the 8' rod.

Angelo

Date: May 18, 2020 12:37PM

When I say go directly to the 1's or 1/0's, I'm not suggesting reducing the number of guides. I'm saying to just use all the same size running guides. There is absolutely no advantage in having a bunch of different size guides on the rod, unless you simply want the added weight incurred by doing so.

Posted by: Ben Eipert (162.128.6.---)
Date: May 18, 2020 02:10PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I say go directly to the 1's or 1/0's, I'm
> not suggesting reducing the number of guides. I'm
> saying to just use all the same size running
> guides. There is absolutely no advantage in having
> a bunch of different size guides on the rod,
> unless you simply want the added weight incurred
> by doing so.
>
> ...............

Ok. I see what you are saying. Thanks!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 18, 2020 02:15PM

The Minama's will work equally as well, and reduce weight by eliminating a wrap on each guide.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 18, 2020 04:29PM

Phil is barking up the right tree with using minamas..lol. you can save another half of weight by applying only one coat of epoxy to the one footed guide..this is very easy to do by simply sealing the wrap with CP instead of using epoxy to seal the wrap and then coating again to cover the thick and thin spots in the first coat..by sealing the wrap with CP you need only apply one coat of epoxy to begin with..that,s a big savings in weight..remember you don,t need the extra strength that epoxy gives you by not using CP to seal.because your still getting a wrap atrength of 150 pounds..that,s the strength of a one centimeter long wrap of A size nylon..the guide frame will deform before it is pulled out, so you don,t need the epoxy application to penetrate the wrap and reach the rod..it,s still way, way strong enough with CP and much lighter..

Posted by: Ben Eipert (---)
Date: May 18, 2020 05:34PM

I am looking at the minimas now. I have enough to do the stripper then straight 4s. Would I have to worry about knot clearance? I plan to use a wire loop tip top.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: May 18, 2020 07:26PM

Remember, I believe when you get down to the 4 and under minima's they are the W for wide foot, and I do not care for them on the narrow tip sections, since the foot is wider that the tip in some applications

Ron Weber

Date: May 18, 2020 08:52PM

You can, and should, grind the sides of the guide foot if it is wider then the rod blank at the place where you intend to wrap them.

Date: May 18, 2020 09:42PM

I will be sure to do that. So it looks like my guide train will be: MW18:8 stripper then all size 4 Minimas.

Does that seem like a good setup? Thanks!

Date: May 18, 2020 10:32PM

It'll work fine. Tape it up, test cast it and see for yourself.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 19, 2020 08:17AM

Lefty recommended using the thumb and forefinger of the hauling hand to form a "ring" around the fly line when the line is released to cast. This "tames" the loops in the line and allows using a smaller stripping guide, saving weight. It takes a little getting-used-to but it works.

Date: May 19, 2020 10:57AM

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. It has been a big help.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster